Diving Cordova, AK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapolly:
Darn, I hate it when I get sick on a Friday and am still not well enough to go back to work on Monday :D

*cough* *cough* *sniffle*

Snowbear:
Anchorage School District is always looking for help.
I imagine the schools on the Kenai Peninsula (Kenai, Seward, Homer, Soldotna, etc...) are hunting as well.

Thanks for the link, But NO science jobs!!!!! Grrrrr.... They do have a continuous application process for science teachers listed on there, just no openings at this time.

Snowbear:
Anchorage School District is always looking for help.
I imagine the schools on the Kenai Peninsula (Kenai, Seward, Homer, Soldotna, etc...) are hunting as well.

There is a posting for a school in Nikiski for a science teacher. Quit accepting applications yesterday, but I am sending them an App anyway.

I'll keep you guys posted!

scubapolly:
There is a posting for a school in Nikiski for a science teacher. Quit accepting applications yesterday, but I am sending them an App anyway.

I'll keep you guys posted!

should you happen to move to nikiski, remind me to tell you a story about "tree fort".

beezwax:
should you happen to move to nikiski, remind me to tell you a story about "tree fort".

So what, you aren't going to tell me if I don't get the job.... that's just mean.

brianstclair:
Can you post or PM me what school you interviewed at? I have a good friend who just got a high school teaching job there and is moving this week with her husband. Just curious...

Brian

Just got an e-mail confirming what we already knew :D

scubapolly:
Just got an e-mail confirming what we already knew :D
Geez, what a random thing that was! Sorry you didn't get the job, even though we both figured that was coming... Although if Alaska's really where you want to be, it sounds like they are always looking for good teachers, especially in some of the smaller villages. My friend has spent the last two years working six month stints in tiny (200-400 people!) little villages in some pretty remote parts of Alaska. She sends some pretty cool pictures, but I think I'm pretty much done with the whole "snow" thing for awhile. Heck, I'm looking into a dry suit 'cause I can't take the frigid 72 degree springs down here :D (flame on GLWC'ers!)

Brian

re: teaching in the bush
there are a ton of jobs in rural AK, incredibly high turnover in teachers too because it's tough. You could easily land a job in the interior, or the slope, or the Y-K delta, but if you are also motivated by diving ops that's a taller order. (the southcentral/southeast coastal positions, where the best diving is, are in high demand for many other reasons-- convenience of being on the road system (Kenai Penn), more temperate climate, the shocking beauty of the mtns/glaciers/bays etc.

re: story
P it's one of those pointless stories that really only makes sense to relate if you know the locale.

scubapolly:
Thanks for the link, But NO science jobs!!!!! Grrrrr.... They do have a continuous application process for science teachers listed on there, just no openings at this time.

Hi Polly, you can also take a look at this link for teaching jobs...:wink:

http://alaskateacher.org/

Poog

brianstclair:
Geez, what a random thing that was! Sorry you didn't get the job, even though we both figured that was coming... Although if Alaska's really where you want to be, it sounds like they are always looking for good teachers, especially in some of the smaller villages. My friend has spent the last two years working six month stints in tiny (200-400 people!) little villages in some pretty remote parts of Alaska. She sends some pretty cool pictures, but I think I'm pretty much done with the whole "snow" thing for awhile. Heck, I'm looking into a dry suit 'cause I can't take the frigid 72 degree springs down here :D (flame on GLWC'ers!)

Brian

No kidding it was random, but really kind of funny. I'm a bit picky in the jobs that I am applying for up there. No artic circle for me. I'm only applying to places on the water and in the south, so that is limiting me a bit.

Drysuits are awesome. I love mine. I use it to dive Ginnie, so I won't flame you too much for it. You'll need it to dive AK when we go visit your friend that took my job :wink:

Polly

Back
Top Bottom