Diving Dad needs advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I happened to be blessed with a daughter 18 years ago. My wife and I were dive professionals and owned a dive store. My daughter spent her day at the dive store, totally exposed to everything that goes around. Her nap times were in Mom's office. We daughter loved the water from birth. WE did not encourage my daughter to take up diving. We didn't need to. The year she was born PADI Introduced the SASY/Bubble maker program. WE invested in that program for our student's children. They can start at the age of 8 to do that. She developed a relationship with one of my staff instructors and when she turned eight , she asked mom and dad if she could take thwe Bubble Maker program , we were confident in her water skills (4 years of swimming lessons at the YMCA) so we said yes. The rest is history. As she reached the qualifying age for the next step she took the class . She became a Discover Scuba Junkie. She was also our best advertising for that program , she drew more kids to our program. She took the Jr. Scuba Program at 10. She is now a Rescue certified diver on her way to becoming a Marine Biologist.

Children of this age will do much better with an Instructor that they know and associate having fun with. Pick your Instructor carefully. The process of going through a bubble maker program through Discover Scuba allows you to find a good instructor. Good Luck.

As a parent the challenges of trusting your kids will be a challenging experience for each step. Access to a swimming pool to review skills on a regular basis would be very helpful not only for them but for any dive.

When it comes to the sexist remarks my daughter was really not exposed to it because either her mom or I were with her around diving activities. The Sport has changed, been in it for since 76. If you feel the environment makes your kids uncomfortable, stay away from it. Dive clubs with predominantly male members may not be the right place for children.

I have two daughters who are divers. I'm not going to let the presence of a few tasteless jokes ruin it for them.
Good!

I only have boys, but I'm contributing my 0.02€ by making it extremely clear that sexist and derogatory comments and attitudes are 100% unacceptable, in any situation. If I ever were to hear something like that from any of them (not that I'm particularly worried about that, though...), they wouldn't know what hit them.

Good!

I only have boys, but I'm contributing my 0.02€ by making it extremely clear that sexist and derogatory comments and attitudes are 100% unacceptable, in any situation. If I ever were to hear something like that from any of them (not that I'm particularly worried about that, though...), they wouldn't know what hit them.
This is a good point. We women are aware of what happens when we are present but may not be as aware of the crude behavior, jokes or innuendos made when we can not witness it. To me at least, comments behind my back are more offensive then saying it to my face, so to speak.

Last edited:
There are many women crew, and captains, in SE FL.
Last two dives I did in SE FL both had female dm's on the boat. They were competent divers and we're both treated respectably by other crew and male customers. I care more about their competence as divers than their sex or race or whatever problem they have. Hey if they have good looks it only makes the ride go easier.

I have a 2 part question.

I have 7 and 9 yr old Girls who love the ocean, snorkel, and can't wait to get certified to SCUBA.

1. Any tips for keeping girls soon to be young women engaged in the sport?
2. I see and hear some objectification and sexism in the sport. These range from slightly sexual jokes at my dive club to "humorous" signs in dive boats galley. Am I an overprotective dad or does that create an uncomfortable environment for women in the sport?

In the first case, if they like being in the water and don't feel pressured to dive or feel like they have to miss out on other activities they'd enjoy, then they should be fine. They may leave and come back to it, but if you always give them opportunities to dive, without pressure, that should be enough for them to stay engaged.

On your second point, what you model in your relationships with women and how you show your daughters that they are valued are going to have more impact than a few lewd signs or sexist remarks. Personally, if I see overt objectification or sexism, I'll take my money elsewhere.

A year ago my 12 year old daughter got her c-card so I relate to this.
This year while planning a trip to Grand Cayman, I specifically looked for a operators with women DMs. I'll went with Epic Divers (I have no affliction with them) as they have 2, and seems at least 1 is always on board. During the week, there was one day where I was actually the only other male diver on board. :cool: I do beleive that role model of seeing other women doing something is very positive for my daughter to see as they are growing up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom