diving >EANx40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP..... hope you enjoy and benefit from your basic nitrox class....you should enjoy the info. and find it a good thing!

In a nut shell.... for recreational limits diving....the industry has set the 40% limit for several reason as others have stated above in several posts. You will typically find 50% and higher nitrox blends used in 'open circuit' diving for deco purposes on staged decompression diving, be it extended range air or trimix bottom gas dives.

Good luck on your class and enjoy.

thanks

last but not least.. would EANx100 be the same mix found in an emergency kit that you would feed to a diver suffering from decrompression sickness?

thanks

last but not least.. would EANx100 be the same mix found in an emergency kit that you would feed to a diver suffering from decrompression sickness?

Yes

However depending on where your EAN100 cylinder was filled, it might not be classed as Medical O2. This is an irrelevant point however as for all purposes they are exactly the same, and can be used in the same way...

thanks

cky3396, you post some very good questions which get very good answers. I don't want to regurgitate those responses. I would only like to point out (again) that there is no such thing as EANx100 or EANx40. 1st off EANx refers to Enriched Air Nitrox with x being the unknown value. Therefore you can not have an unknown value with the known percentage. A 40% mix would be noted as EAN40, not EANx40. Same goes for all Hyperoxic mixes.

Secondly, there is not such mix as EAN100. It's just 100% O2. You should learn all the terminology in your basic nitrox class. May be helpful to get in the habit of using the correct terminology. Good luck in your class and have fun.:D

thanks

Joe.... Oxygen=O2

thanks for the corrections. ive seen nitrox posted as "EANx--" and "EAN--" around here... i think thats where i got it from.

thank tex

EANx just means nitrox. It just means "a nitrox mix" that could be anything up to EAN99 for 99% oxygen.

EANyy is for a specific mix where yy is the O2 %

Yea, but the bottom line is, in the 'real world' if a diver labels or writes his/her nitrox blend as EAN50 OR EANx50, I would hope most of us would understand its meaning.....we see it written both ways all the time both on cylinders and publications. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom