Diving Egypt in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned from a month in Egypt - little over a week diving in Dahab - and climbed Mt Sinai -17C and snow- though St Cath's was closed :(.

I was in a 5mm and was fine for the first 8 or so dives, then it was a little nippy- esp as I like to move along slowly admiring the scenery.

I totally adored Dahab, and am already planning on returning just after Christmas for 2 weeks this time.

I would NOT recommend Club Red - their safety was lax to the point where I ended a dive and took my buddy with me, leaving the "guide" continuing on for a good 5+mins before making sure we were ok... The worst part was that it wasn't just 1 guide - but 2 guides who couldn't have given a rats - It was only the attention of another friend (who had done 2 of her 4 OW dives) who checked her BF's air (guages on their backs) thinking they had been down longer than normal to find he was at 10bar - ON AN INTRO DIVE (happening above us) with the guide blithely ahead pointing things out. I wrote a full report and sent it to PADI as well as to the tour company who had risk assessed them. 4 of us did 1 dive with Club Red - and will never do another.
As to other companies - I am not really sure which was which when we were out - but you would see "gangs" of divers following a master or two - not my kind of dive. I was lucky enough to end up diving with a freelancer in Dahab who has been there guiding/instructing for over 10 years.

What does that mean? Simple - we would meet early (just before 8am - still munching breakfast or he would pack some for us) and he would decide then where we were going given the conditions - and we would be geared up and in the water before anyone else arrived. So we would have pristine sites - nothing kicked up - no dodging gangs of divers etc. Ditto for the second dive of the day - we moved or didn't move depending on conditions - and if we didn't move - he would time it so we didn't have company. The only two times I was in the proximity of other divers was Lighthouse (can't avoid that really though we missed most of them) and at El Bells - we went deep and just ignored them all - no dramas.

If you want the contact details, I will happily pass them on... Oh yeah - he only does small groups - couples or a few friends - none of this 6+ people business.

I've dived Sharm and Dahab in Feb and March. I was just about Ok in a 5mm wetsuit. The guides (who have been diving year round) find it comparatively cold and will dive in semi dry minimum. Dahab in particular has cold winds- be prepared for the wind chill factor when you get out of the water and bring warm clothes.

I read a couple accounts of Jan & Feb diving where folks found it a bit cold for comfort in wetsuits.(Undercurrent's Chapman was one, I think the other was letter in the UK Diver magazine). Maybe OK for a dive or two, but too cold for 3-4 dives a day for several days and less comfortable than it could have been. A hood is likely to be a big help in staying warm.

Unless your idea of warm water starts already at 8C I'd use a 7mm suit with hood or a drysuit for Jan-Feb. With a drysuit you can't go wrong because you can change how much you wear under it.

I did a northern route in late March 2013 and the water temps were 21-23C: almost everywhere 22C, twice 21C and once 23C in a shallow lagoon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom