Diving gear rent price / buy price Canada USA vs Carribean destinations ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have friends in Canada that have purchased gear in Cozumel. While the prices there can generally be higher every once in awhile they find deals on gear - full 3mm wetsuits for example. Bear in mind they bring all their gear to begin with so the new gear is just a bonus. According to them it was much cheaper than purchasing in Canada or from the US and having it shipped to Canada.
So at minimum, keep an eye out for gear while you are at whatever location you decide upon. I would not plan on buying gear when you get to the location since inventory and costs are unknown

I have my own gear for reliablility and fit but that is an expense up front before you go. I have friends who use rental gear and so far it seems to work for them. Seen some bad rental gear too.

I wasn't impressed with prices in Cozumel but they were better than many LDS's in Canada ($25 for a single bolt snap?!?!). While I try to support the local shops it's becoming increasingly difficult. We live in a global world and I have had excellent experiences with the folks at diverightinscuba and caveadventurers. Why would I pay 30-50% more (and upwards) to get poorer service from someone local? First scuba lesson was "you need this $60 snorkel" - thank you local dive shop.

That said, there are exceptions to the rule. The few I've had good experiences and stand out are Easy Dive and Louisbourg Scuba in Cape Breton, DiveTech in Mallorytown (not the cheapest but great selection) and Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catherine's (great help on the phone).

Just my experience - of course, that doesn't stop me from window shopping between dives while down south.

I would buy your personal gear before you travel. Make sure the mask fits. A leaky mask is very troublesome UW. A good mask can run $30-100 bucks. Price is less important vs fit.

Renting the other gear is a PITA but many folks do so. Used is also an option and one you may want to consider.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeagle-Rang...031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337167d817

You will want to get the classroom and pool work done before going tropical. Find a PADI shop as you should have an easy time finding a PADI shop while traveling. That or decide on the shop you will use and match that with something local. I'm thinking you LDS will have ideas on all this! For example buy stuff from us! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom