Diving Grand Cayman......where and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anamaris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Heading to Grand Cayman next week and am looking for answers to a couple specific questions.

1) Who is your favorite Dive Operator and why? (we prefer smaller operations, not a 'cattle call')
2) Does anyone rent tanks for shore diving? ( I know there's not much shore diving available but would like to get some in)
3) What are your favorite dive sites or "shouldn't be missed" sites? and why?

We will be there for 2 weeks and will be staying in Kaibo Cay, near Rum Point. I believe there is no Dive Operators right in that area.

Thanks! :blinking:

There actually is two dive operators a short drive away. Tortuga Divers/Red Sail has a location at both Rum Point and Morritt's resort. Ocean Frontiers is on the south side of the East End so a longer drive. My buddy/b-i-l liked OF a lot earlier this summer. All my diving has been on the west side so I only know of them. There's also a third operator at the Reef Resort but since Morritt's is basically next door IDK which is a better choice.

If you're planning to drive all the way around to the Seven Mile Beach area - go 5 miles farther north and dive Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point or Cobalt Coast. IMO Turtle Reef is the best. Head south and look for the Tarpon Cave - it's pretty cool to move through them. Also watch overhead - we often saw Eagle Rays flying overhead there. My pick for west side operator is going to be Wall to Wall most of the time but I know the owner. Neptune's Divers seems to do a good job also and Ambassador gets some good recommendations. All based along SMB. But there's really a bunch of others - Cayman Islands Tourism Association - Things To Do In Cayman, Cayman Culture,Cayman Islands Watersports They all charge roughly the same so bad operators don't last long on Cayman.

If you wanted to make a day of it book a Kittiwake Dive with one of the west side operators - or either of the two I mentioned ^ also do it - I believe OF asks you to meet them at a west side marina though. Also there's Stingray City dives - boats for that leave from the west side of the north sound. Just about every dive op offers that dive.

In south Georgetown Sunset House is decent also - there's the famous Mermaid, a small landing craft wreck, the Cathy Church Photo Gallery/Store and My Bar had good food and will be all divers. It's far enough south to not be affected by the 4-5 cruise ships in port almost daily.

The only places I know to rent tanks are on the west side. If your plan is to shore dive near where you're staying you might see if you can arrive early enough to pick them up b4 you drive out. Eden Rock downtown and Divers Supply in West Bay are the two options. Also the shore dives I mentioned above all have dive operators on-site. I do know for a fact that Ocean Frontiers does not let tanks off-propterty - no idea on Red Sail/Tortuga.

If you're feeling ambitious Babylon is shore accessible. But it's a surface swim and not the easiest/most marked entry point. Also there can be some boat traffic. It's arguably one of the top 5 Grand Cayman dives though - I believe Tortuga does it almost daily also via boat. Even some of the west side operators ride over for it on extended trips.

My other must dives:

Ghost Mountain
Trinity Caves
Big Tunnel
Orange Canyon
Turtle Reef

If you're boat diving on the west side and the operator asks - Aquarium is a good shallow 2nd dive. Watch for fish hovering around the coral heads - those are cleaner stations. Hold out your hand and the shrimp might clean your cuticles.

hth,

P.S. - something your rental agent may have not mentioned - the food stores on Cayman are all closed on Sunday. There's a Fosters market just as you leave the airport - open till 11PM Sat. night because of it. So you might want to stop for a few things. It's going to be the better part of an hour drive so plan for that also. There's also a small Fosters (Hurleys?) on the East End - IDK any details about it.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all this......... I'm printing it and taking it with me. My 'landlord' did tell me about Sundays. We are arriving on Monday.
While I have you, do you know of any dockside places to pick up fresh fish?
?

I would not waste time or money on Sting Ray City. I did it this summer and the water was really green. They took us out and had us kneel down in a circle and then chummed the water. The stingrays did come but it was so artificial and unpleasant with the green water. It may have been a summer algae bloom, so I'd at least check that. Another diver warned me against going, but I had to see for myself.

Steve gave you some great info. So, +1 for what Steve said. Have not used Tortuga, but have used Ocean Frontiers and they were great. We had a good time. For shore diving, there are lots of places from the north side at Cobalt Coast down to Smith's Cove, south of Georgetown. IMO, the multi-reef (shallow/deep) options available at Cobalt and Lighthouse provide the best diving and the operators are very nice, even to drive-up shore divers. Spend a day a Sunset House relaxing in the shallow shore dives and munching/drinking at My Bar. Not the best diving but it is a fun place to spend the day.

Back
Top Bottom