Diving in and around Manassas VA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any diving in or close to Manassas VA?

If so, depth, vis, temps etc?

Check Millbrook Quarry at LDSs.

90ish,

20feet vis some years ago, now? you can read you bottom timer,

Bottom - 40ish,

Surface - 60 ~ 80F.

Welcome to Northern Virginia.

Thanks for the reply, I don't live there, but local diving will play a factor in my decision :)

Thanks for the reply, I don't live there, but local diving will play a factor in my decision :)

Manassas is just under 800 miles away from High Springs. And Millbrook is the one of the best training site for Cave diver. (FW will confirm that.)

Manassas is just under 800 miles away from High Springs. And Millbrook is the one of the best training site for Cave diver. (FW will confirm that.)

Local diving is a must to keep sharp on the skills!

All that being said, if I got a job offer in say gainsville I would start packing my bags today

I'll second the statement that Millbrook is a good site for practicing cave skills. It is not just the poor viz, but alsor the topography of the quarry and the ability to practice fairly challenging placements on the vertical walls while running lines. And if you can run a reel at 60-80 ft in 40 degree water with 7mm gloves or dry gloves and heavy liners, doing it in N FL is a snap.

High Springs is a 13 hour drive, not exactly a weekend destination but going several times per year for a week or so is do-able.

The Outerbanks of NC are 5 hours away and you can find truly epic world class wreck diving there with 100 ft viz, warm water, tropical fish and lots of sharks - or you can find ok wreck diving with 10-20 ft viz and 60-65 degree water...just depends on the Gulf Stream and the weather.

Indian River DE, Ocean City Maryland and Virgina Beach VA are 3-4 hours away and you can find wreck diving in 10-20 ft viz in 45-60 degree water there on a reliable basis. The labrador current has a much greater influence so you don't get the same warm clear water and tropical fish, but it is still fun.

Thanks for the input guys, I just moved to Centreville area from LA. Anything else local outside of the recommended quarry?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom