diving in brazil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leiserom:
Well 6 days till I leave for Rio. Headed for Ilha Grande on the 26th. Should be fun.

Have a blast, I am also interested in diving in Brazil. I usually go down a couple of times per year to Caraguatatuba, Br. It's a city a couple of hours southwest from Sao Paulo. Basically what you do is take the Dutra towards Rio at Sao Jose dos do campos and hang a right to the coast, The Island of San Sebastion is down there. Can you help out with a dive shop name or contact. Thanks TNT

Here is report I put in Texas Swamp Divers section

well i had a separate thread on my visit to Rio De Janeiro but it seems to have disappeared. Will report here;

Arrived Rio on 12/23. No diving could be found for 24th. 25th was family stuff. 26th came to Ilha Grande which is island off coast 2 hrs south of Rio. This is big tourist island. no cars allowed. we drove to ferry port at Angra Dos Reis which is 2 hrs drive south of Rio. Took boat over here and checked in at hotel. Went to dive operator i had reserved. office staff didnt seem to know anything. Went to other operator and set up 2 tank fast boat for 27th. Went out in Am with Elite Dive Center. Five divers on boat. Went to island and did two dives to about 30 ft. This is cold water diving(antartic current) 74 degrees. 5 mil required. diving somewhat disappointing. This is not Cozumel. Divers pretty decent-but no one spoke much english. They are not used to american divers. vis about 30 ft or so. did not dive tuesday or wednesday. set up dive today with operator i had reserved(they wondered where i had been). boat was old fishing boat converted to dive use. went across channel thru 3-4 ft seas to another island. diving better but still cold water. Dive operator was man and his son and another dm. saw trumpetfish and pufferfish. experienced divers on boat not very experienced. I was pretty much on my own. followed owner who was doing a discover scuba while leading certified divers. but i liked the guy. they were definitely having a good time. will not be doing any more diving here. return to Houston 1/2.

Is there good diving or snorkeling sites near Natal. Can someone recommend diving operators in that area (if there is any).

Sorry to hear about the dissapointing dives. How far is Ihla Grande from Caraguatatuba, any ideas? Caragua has the Island of Soa Sebastion in it. I have been ther a couple of times, but have not found a dive shop yet. Any suggestions or Comments? Thanks T-n-T

I will be traveling to Florianopolis in late September, can anyone recommend a operator in the area. Prefferably one that speaks some English.

Atlas1977:
I will be traveling to Florianopolis in late September, can anyone recommend a operator in the area. Prefferably one that speaks some English.

I keep hearing conflicting opinions.

There is supposed to be a good diving area near Floripa but the best parts are closed for diving at the moment.
The reserved area includes the islands of Arvoredo, Galé, Deserta and Calhau de São Pedro. (Federal Decree nº 99.142/90), and has an area of 17800 hectares.
IBAMA restricted diving to the south side of the island of Arvoredo.
see
http://www.parcel.com.br/#

Apparently there is also some reasonable diving near Floripa at Bombinhas, 61km by car.
I had been thinking of going down there one long weekend but talking to people I got put off. Nothing special enough to justify the trip.

Try www.patadacobra.com.br
and
bombinhas@patadacobra.com.br

See if they answer in english.

:14:
does anyone have any info on in and arround natal, i´m travelling there for an eclipse and would love to get some quailty diving in tooo????

Hello Nick,

Natal has some good diving spots but I have never been there. Check out this site where you can find prices and other info:

http://www.maresub.com.br

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom