Diving in General Santos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBabe21

Reaction score
Hi, a couple of girlfriends and I are doing a dive safari adventure in General Santos and also some dives in Pearl Farm in Davao (Southern Philippines - Mindanao) at the end of the month. I haven't been there before and would like some inputs as to the diving conditions there - ie, what to see (pelagics, macro?), expect (current?), etc.

Would appreciate all your help! Thanks :wink:

hi there!

nothing great in davao (in my opinion) if you compare it to other more popular dive destinations in the phils. i.e. tubbataha, apo reef, malapascua, anilao, etc

last time i dove there it's mostly rubble with occassional coral patches - talikud island, samal island, etc. pearl farm has a relatively healthier reef system

however, in the past 2 years, the diving community became active in preserving the sites. they installed artificial reefs, has done some clean-up dives, and explored new sites. 2 weeks ago they spotted a whale shark outside davao gulf!

e-mail me if you're interested so i can forward you contact persons/dive shop in davao. they may also be able to help you with regards to dive destinations in in gen. santos.

safe diving!

I've heard the diving in south Mindinao is only so-so compared to the rest of the Philippines, and safety is somewhat of an issue if you are not a local (like me). I did a week at Mantagale in Camigiun and was impressed. Its one of the better dive resorts I've been to in the philippines. If there is a group of you stay in the presidential suite, great for a group. Dudong and crew will deliver food/beer to your room. Great soft corals, pgymys, mardarins, and other special treats.... (we saw turtles, a manta, and huge neo wrasses.

I would also like to add Apo Island to the list from Vyper, near the top of the places I've been. but nothing beat tubataha if you like big stuff.

Back
Top Bottom