Diving in Japan in May 2004? Please Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

www.reefencounters.org is based out of Okinawa and are a full service shop. Your cert agency really dosent matter. Also if you wanna know more some of Okinawas shops you can always do a google search for "Japanupdat, scubatanks" It will make your choice easier.

Hi-

Sorry to be a bit late with a reply - my daughter is visiting from Holland and we have been away for a week on a Kyushu tour.
If you want to dive in Fukuoka you can from a small peninsular called Shikano-shima on the north side of the city. It's not very deep - about 10-12 meters - you'll need a 5mm wetsuit. It depends a bit on the weather as it's a rocky beach entry/exit - so if it's windy and the waves are up it's not worth it - difficult entry - bad visibility. If it's calm it can be quite a nice dive - there are a few bottom to surface rock formations - octopus - lionfish - other smallish fish etc. Quite a few people use the same spot at the weekends for practicing - but unless you go there with a local dive school there aren't any facilities at the beach - you have to take everything you need (including fresh water etc for an after dive rinse!) If you really want to go for a dive there, PM me and we can probably make some arrangements - I have a Japanese friend with lots of tanks that you could probably use for the price of the refill (and weightbelts) - he also has some BCD's and regs that he can also rent out cheap (he's an instructor - but his main job is a civil servant in the Fire Dept - so he's not allowed to make huge profits on outside work!) Like I said - PM me with want you want and I'll be glad to see if we can help. I live about 20 miles from Fukuoka.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom