Diving in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like Semo Scuba, I have used Quiesence for diving in Key Largo. They run 6 packs. Their boats are on the small side. They take out a maximum of 6 divers and/or snorklers on a trip. My wife and I reserved a place with them. We showed up that morning and no one else did. They still took the 2 of us out. Quiesence takes divers to small spots that the boats hauling piles of divers can not really fool with. They took us to a tiny patch reef one that I believe gets almost no diving.

At Key Largo, I would think that you could dive patch reefs at 30', four times per day and never repeat a dive in four days. Also, Key Largo has the deep wrecks like the Spiegel Grove in deep water and lots of current. If you don't like deep wrecks, they have the Benwood, which is a very nice dive. It went down in 1942, so it is well encrusted and in something like 50'.

Compared to the Caribean, Key Largo does not have really healthy hard corals. Key Largo has a marl bottom which limits the visibility. The visibility is not bad (often 40' to 60') but it is not like other places which routinely have 90'. However, the marine parks in Key Largo have effective protection. Marine parks in the Caribean often have heavy fishing pressure so large grouper and snapper are virtually absent. Key Largo has populations of large grouper and snapper, nurse sharks, sting rays, eagle rays and so on.

Key Largo, at the right places, has the Conch Republic vibe. There are a fair number of people who live and work there. My wife claims that the majority of the populations down there is on some sort of psychotropic medication and she could be right. It isn't a bad sort of thing, just WEIRD is normative. But, hey I LIKE that. Who wants to go on vacation and see the normal work a day world? In the Keys, you meet people who could give a rip about what year it is.

Geez, I'd stay home if I wanted to be around normal work and people! Sounds like you had a great trip...thanks for the info.

By the way, has anyone been diving down around Marathon, FL? I'm looking there, too, because it's possible to get a better RCI timeshare swap in that area. Any info would be great!

Well Key Largo is reffered to as "The Diving Capitol Of the world" and has more then 30 dive shops and boats. I prefer to keep it on smaller boats eg: Scubado Islandventures...

I would dive with both as they are at different spots on the island you get to different parts of the reef and to different wrecks.

I can't say much for Marathon but there is much more going on at Key Largo. I am sure all up and down the keys you will find dive shops.

Key Largo has great deeper wrecks, Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb, great shallow wrecks like the Benwood, and wonderfull reef dives.

Enjoy, Craig

Last edited:
Getting back into things myself here and planning a summer trip to Key Largo.

Island Ventures and Silent World are two of my favorite operators down there.

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn and can attest to the effect of having a Divers Direct outlet next door.

Did my OW Dives out of Tavinier w/ Florida Keys Dive Center. Went down a few months later for rec. diving. One thing I have to recommend is to get in a night dive. Trust me, it is worth it.

As far as running out of places to dive, wont happen. I'm only like 37 and already feel I want to retire there.

By the way, has anyone been diving down around Marathon, FL? I'm looking there, too, because it's possible to get a better RCI timeshare swap in that area. Any info would be great!

We usually go to the Keys and stay in Marathon every year for a week or more. We were just there about 4 weeks ago, and are heading back in early August. We trade our timeshare and stay at The Hammocks at Marathon. When there we dive with Captain Hooks - nice family run op, comfy boats and they discount multi-dive packages. Diving in Key Largo is a bit better, but Marathon is nice as well. (Neither is Coz, but I'm not complaining! The water is blue!!) There are more restaurants & night-life action in KL, Marathon is a bit quieter. I'm there for the diving, so it's not a big deal to me! Plus being at MM50 you're smack in the middle of the Keys, so you can hop down to Key West, or up to Key Largo pretty easily. Last trip we did 3 days of diving in Marathon and drove up to KL for 2 days to dive there. (Wanted to do the Speigel Grove again!) When up in KL, we use Blue Water Divers. Christi & Eric are nice people, they have comfy boat, and they don't over pack the boat.

Captain Hooks Diving and Fishing in the Florida Keys
Scuba Diving and Snorkeling with BlueWater Divers in Key Largo, Florida

Thanks for the great information, Kat. When you drove up to KL, were you still using your timeshare in Marathon? I looks to me like the drive takes a little less than an hour....correct? We don't want to change lodging so if we stay in Marathon and the drive time to KL is reasonable, then we'll probably do some dives up there.

Thanks, too, for the links to the dive ops websites....very helpful!

islanddream

Sabbath999 and I did some dives in Key Largo last week. We stuck to the shallow reefs because they require very little boat time -- only ten or fifteen minutes between two dives -- and we had some seasickness issues. I enjoyed it a lot -- the reefs are shallow, all less than 40 ft, many around 25 ft, so you get a full hour of bottom time (seems to be the local 'boat rules' max). Abundant soft coral that was very nice, a nice mix of other inverts and fish. Very easy diving.

They also offer deep wreck dives to several sites. I hear good things about those, especially the Eagle, but the boat time was beyond what we wanted to do.

We tried three shops, in the spirit of experimentation not because we were unsatisfied. Blue Waters was our favorite -- he took us out as a pair when he had no others on the docket, small boat (six max?), comfortable atmosphere, fresh fruit and cold water for the surface interval; all I'd wish for. Quiescence boat would hold ten (we had four); similar experience, we would recommend them. Silent World is also a thumbs up; again a similar experience, ten seater boat though I'd wish for a little less diesel exhaust.

Here's a sticky loaded with info & contacts about the FL Keys. It's a great place to start your research.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/362149-florida-keys-guide.html

In Key Largo, there are more dive ops than gas stations, so there is something for everyone from novice to experienced to tech as well as more dive sites than you could see in a week of continuous diving. Feel free to call around and chat with the ops to get a feel for them and find a good match for your expectations. Whether you dive with my shop or one of the other fine ops in town (I have friends at many and would not hesitate to recommend some), we want you to enjoy some of the best diving in the world.

It's always fun to meet Scubaboarders, so while you are in Key Largo, please stop by to say hi :wavey:.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom