Diving in La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3-4 is the biggest "school" I've seen at El Bajo in La Paz; still, that's plenty impressive. I think the common species there are the great hammerhead, or Sphyrna mokarran, contrary to popular belief; they are normally solidary animals except during mating seasons.

I've seen schools of 40-50 scalloped hammerheads or Sphyrna lewini in the Red Sea; they are smaller, darker, and gregarious.

That is a rare event at Gordo Banks. For regular sightings of large schools of hammerheads, Wolf/Darwin Islands in the Galapagos is your best bet.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Rare event?
I was told by the DM on the dive there, 2 years ago, that a school of about 200-300 live & congregate around that sea mount. The size of these hammerheads are about 3-4 ft. If you get within 50 ft or so of them , they will scatter.......

Rare event?
I was told by the DM on the dive there, 2 years ago, that a school of about 200-300 live & congregate around that sea mount. The size of these hammerheads are about 3-4 ft. If you get within 50 ft or so of them , they will scatter.......

doesn't sound like hammerheads to me, 3-4' long?? :confused:

What a said story from Raya, but i do not agree with her. We went recently with Baja Aventuras and we had an amazing time!! Almost all the things you say are different from our experience.

We went diving with them for 5 days and we had a blast! Good service, beautifull well maintained dive boat and really nice divemaster. (and sorry but we love it when they change our gear in between dives..). And if you check, they are really much lower priced then other companies in La Paz...

Sorry that you had such a bad time, but next time we will go again with baja aventuras and we also recommend them to others!

Ouch! I was just looking at your other threads and posts Raya, and they all have a negative undertone... or they are just rude about other people!
so maybe it's not the other people or dive centers, but just your look at it?

A buddy and I are headed down to Baja for the last week in October. I am planning it out now and trying to make sense of all the disparate comments. Acouple of questions for anyone who knows: I understand that Cabo Pulmo is between Cabo and LaPaz. Since the current plan is to dive out of both towns-a few days at each-is it practical/reasonable to plan on driving up to Cabo Pulmo from Cabo early one day, diving with a local shop, and then continue by car up to LaPaz. If this is doable, any suggestions for a LDS at C.P?
Next, in relationship to Cabo and LaPaz, where is Gordo Banks?
Finally, is there any preferences between the two Cabos towns? Particularly in terms of hotels, night life and most importantly nearby diving?
Appreciate all comments
DD:confused:

A buddy and I are headed down to Baja for the last week in October. I am planning it out now and trying to make sense of all the disparate comments. Acouple of questions for anyone who knows: I understand that Cabo Pulmo is between Cabo and LaPaz. Since the current plan is to dive out of both towns-a few days at each-is it practical/reasonable to plan on driving up to Cabo Pulmo from Cabo early one day, diving with a local shop, and then continue by car up to LaPaz. If this is doable, any suggestions for a LDS at C.P?
Next, in relationship to Cabo and LaPaz, where is Gordo Banks?
Finally, is there any preferences between the two Cabos towns? Particularly in terms of hotels, night life and most importantly nearby diving?
Appreciate all comments
DD:confused:

Yes you're trip is perfectly doable!
If I'm right, then october is one of the best months to go diving in the Baja Sur!
We recently went to dive with Baja Aventuras in La Paz and we loved it, we also went 1 day diving in Cabo Pulmo and it was great, also so beautifull! There we went with Cabo Pulmo Dive Center and they were great! It's fun because they pull the boat from the water back to the beach with you still in it! :) The dives in Cabo Pulmo are closer to shore then in La Paz, so 2 dives will take you half a day. (and they leave more times a day). In La Paz they go to the island and it takes longer, so that's why they offer daytrips, which I enjoy more personally, you get more for your money.

In Cabo Pulmo is nothing but beautifull beaches, dive centers, some restaurants and little hotels. If you want to party go to Cabo San Lucas and if you want to be close to the partying but not in the middle of it, pick a hotel in San Jose del cabo.

I'm not sure about Gordo Banks, so can't help you with that!

Gordo Banks is south of the San Jose Del Cabo Airport in East Cape.
There is a fairly new marina there. The boat ride is about 20 min out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom