Diving in Melbourne/Victoria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Rick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hey folks,

I just found out that I will be escaping the next Canadian winter, and will be in Melbourne, Australia for six months, November to April. :D

I would like to find out as much as I can about the diving in the area, so that we know what gear to bring with us. My wife and I both have dry suits, 7mm wet, and 3mm long & shorties. We have lots of experience in both warm and cold water, including deep, wrecks, current etc...

What kind of diving is in the area, what can we expect? Anyone with recommendations for dive shops and day charters in the area??

Thanks in advance,

Rick

DR, www.diveoz.com.au might be more assistance to you - they have a strong melb contingent, regular rebreather get togethers (JDZ arranges these) and they do their best to arrange DiveOz photo days (Sydney has better turnouts :D)

in Melb they ahve fish and wrecks and about to get a purpose scuttled HMAS Canberra (grrrr)

if you get a chance, www.webjet.com.au and get out of melb and see the other states!

enjoy!!!!

Hi there Rick - I'd second diveoz as a source of info. At that time many people are happy with 7 mm suits but I would still dive dry. Bring the shorties by all means if you wish - but this will very much depend on your tolerance to pain... :D

There are some decent wreaks around and this post has some more details on melbourne diving.

Cheers,
Rohan.

almitywife:
in Melb they ahve fish and wrecks and about to get a purpose scuttled HMAS Canberra (grrrr)

Yeah - about time us southerners got something. :)

Only - haven't heard a date. Doesn't sound like it's going to be any time soon.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom