Diving in Melbourne

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My family and I are going to visit my friend and we plan to go to Cairns for some reef diving.

So now the question. What is a temperature like near Melbourne now? I'm just taking my warm gear and I only have a 5/4 wetsuit.

If 7 mil is required can you recommend a place that rents out 7mils and tanks.

If anyone would like to buddy up with a "canuck" for a couple of dives I would treat with a cup of coffee :)

I just want to use a chance and dive there.

Thanks in advance.

Seems like you're not getting any luck. You can try the diveoz board

Dive-Oz Discussion Forums - We've Gone Virtual!!

and ask for help.

For Diving in Melbourne, I can tell you from my limited experiences that Victoria's waters in October/Nov are roughly around 15C- 17C ? Its pretty cold.

There are a few dive operators around the Peninsula Mornington area who can help you out. Off hand I can't remember their names. I only went scuba diving in the waters in Feb/March when the waters were a bit warmer at 18C+. It was still very cold.

There are plenty to places to snorkel - search for places like Bushranger Bay, and Beach 16 in Rye (Marcia Road). If you wanna chill out I can highly recommend going to Sandy Point and staying at the Iluka Cottages. The beach there is very very pretty, very large, pristine, and quiet.

Elan,

sorry must have missed that post. Where are you staying?

Water temperature at the moment is around 16-17C. depending on how much you feel the cold, I would suggest at least using a 7mm wetsuit

There is lots of great diving in and around Melbourne. If you have time to drive to either the Mornington or Bellarine peninsulas then you could jump on a Dive Vic boat for a boat dive. They have hire gear you can use.

If not, there are a number of reputable local shops, that you should be able to use. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Franny, we finally decided to limit our diving with a Cairns trip and we skipped diving in Melbourne as we were quite tired and had tight schedule, my wife has decided that she wanted to go to Sydney too and I did not have an option to say no :)

But thanks anyways for the info I hope it will not be our last time in Australia and we dive in the area.

Elan, so when are we going diving in Sydney then? As for all other things, so for diving - it's better in Sydney than Melbourne.

Elan, so when are we going diving in Sydney then? As for all other things, so for diving - it's better in Sydney than Melbourne.

Likely sooner than later; Coming back to Canada I cannot drink that crap that is called coffee here after drinking coffee in Australia. I do not understand why but even the one made in a coffee machine on a gas station is way better than the one served in a "not so cheap cafe" here :(

Im depressed because I cannot now drink it here.

This is what I do at home , but you know sometimes you want to hung out with friends at some coffee shop :) I now even started bringing beans to work :)

Back
Top Bottom