diving in north-central Wisconsin??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terfmop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I guess I'm just odd. Most people I assume, attempt to get to the tropics to use their OW certification for the colorful fish and coral. Not me.....I'm not even certified yet, but I am planning on an out of state trip where maybe I can use my newly acquired cert to dive in Wisconsin. To be fair, diving wasn't originally in the plans when I had made my summer plans to WI, but I figured the state has plenty of lakes and there must be some folks that dive up there.

I will be staying in the Rice Lake area. Is there anyone that would be willing to put up with a novice to do a little diving in WI? I'll be up there at the end of June.

Adam

terfmop:
I guess I'm just odd. Most people I assume, attempt to get to the tropics to use their OW certification for the colorful fish and coral. Not me.....I'm not even certified yet, but I am planning on an out of state trip where maybe I can use my newly acquired cert to dive in Wisconsin. To be fair, diving wasn't originally in the plans when I had made my summer plans to WI, but I figured the state has plenty of lakes and there must be some folks that dive up there.

I will be staying in the Rice Lake area. Is there anyone that would be willing to put up with a novice to do a little diving in WI? I'll be up there at the end of June.

Adam

Hey Adam-

I don't know of any good diving lakes in the Rice Lake area but, Wazee is near Black River Falls, WI. (about 100 miles south of Rice Lake). My club wil be there June 15-17. Wazee is an old mine. It is big and deep with set-up tables and good camping grounds. We will be at Perch Lake near Somerset WI (75 miles southwest of Rice Lake) June 30 and July 1st. Perch Lake is a smaller lake / pond with decent vis. It is great to use for OW training.

Let me know if any of these dates or places work for you and we'll try to hook up.

Adam,
There are several inland lakes to dive early spring is a good time,prior to the algae blooms, several hazards are found on inland lakes a new diver should know-
first boats think dive flags are a thing to speed past so be safe!
second weeds and muck can cause a few bad things too,so make sure to have a pal that knows the area-plan your dive-dive the plan!
But not to push you out of inland lakes Door county west of you has miles and miles of sweet shore dives, and wrecks and fish to see and with fair to great vis!

Green Bay scuba has a great map that tells you how were and things to see on this Door county shore dive map,
And I am up there lots on weekends hit me up may get you on a easy wreck like the Frank Oconor late in the year as the waters warm in the big pond!
Good luck on the certs,join a club or see-
www.wiscuba.com

for some inland lakes trips from some pros seems like if you ask in the local diving area you may get some good feed back,and see about a club or shop near you this can be a great way to hook up, a divers got to dive!

Well I am on my way home from Sunny Florida after close to 6 months of diving with the corals and tropicals got to love gin clear water and high 70's water temps but Lake Michigan -Great Lakes have the wrecks were my heart is well dry suit too!
Brad

You might also ask around on wiscuba.com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom