Diving in OC Any Good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaman_06

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Guys,

I just talked to a guy from OC Diver. My girl friend and I normally go to OC in May or early June and I wondered what the diving out there was like. The guy from OC Diver was nice, seemed honest, he said it was cold (forties at the bottom) and that the boat ride was long and cold as well.

Any of you guys been down there, worthwhile going? We both dive in Pinnacle suits, 7mm, merino, hood - boats etc, no drysuit training though.

Those of us that like local diving, really like diving. If you want warm water and hundred foot vis, you'll hate it. If you easily get seasick, you'll hate it. If you need to see colorful tropical fish to have a good dive, you'll hate it - But if cold water and long boat rides don't bother you, you'll get to see lots of real wrecks, lots of "grey fish of the Atlantic" and all kinds of cool sealife - I have seen free swimming conger eels, a truly huge monkfish, stargazers, an occasional sea turtle, lots of rays - about the only thing I haven't seen out there are sharks, but I keep hoping:) It also beats quarry diving any day of the week.

JMO,

Jackie

i have got 2 buddies going out with Captain Ted on Monday the 14th. i will be unable to go(and i have a new drysuit to boot!! how bad does that suck) anyway, Ted seems like a real nice guy and everyone that we have spoken with, that has been out with him, say he is just as you described. we have 2 other dates lined up with him later on in the year. as for exposure suits, i get cold easy and would not DREAM of going out this time of year in a 7mm. i just did a quarry dive 2 week-ends ago. it was 38* at 42'. even in a 7mm and 3mm shorty layer'd it was no fun for me. let us know what you do and if you had fun. maybe i can get my buddy to post a report and possible pics.

Bill

I'm going out on the OC Diver this Friday and Saturday, weather permitting. Ted has always been very helpful and friendly with me and I don't think I've been on a better dive boat. If you want a fuller endorsement, ask. He has a great reputation that is well deserved. What wrecks were you talking about? I would rather dive around here than travel to the carribean.

I'll be diving wet, so I'll let you know how I do temperature wise.

Hoyden:
Those of us that like local diving, really like diving. If you want warm water and hundred foot vis, you'll hate it. If you easily get seasick, you'll hate it. If you need to see colorful tropical fish to have a good dive, you'll hate it - But if cold water and long boat rides don't bother you, you'll get to see lots of real wrecks, lots of "grey fish of the Atlantic" and all kinds of cool sealife - I have seen free swimming conger eels, a truly huge monkfish, stargazers, an occasional sea turtle, lots of rays - about the only thing I haven't seen out there are sharks, but I keep hoping:) It also beats quarry diving any day of the week.

Oh, don't worry - the sharks are there. If you were to have 100 feet of vis instead of 10 feet, your chances of seeing a shark would increase by 1000. Years ago, I'd sometimes see sand tigers around the wrecks off the Delaware and Maryland coasts. But don't ask about recently - I gave up cold, geen, murky water diving more than 20 years ago.

BTW, Ted Green is a fine captain and a fine diver in his own right.

Oyster Diver, could you post some temps/depths after your dive? one of my buddies has been waiting on his drysuit to get in. needless to say, "Murphy" is at work and it is not here. so, one buddy will be diving dry, the other will be wet. thanks in advance.

Bill

O.C. diving..... You either love it or hate it, there does not seem to be any middle ground. I logged 50 dives out of o.c. inlet last year, some with the o.c. diver, Ted runs a great operation. As for conditions... I saw visibility pushing 50 feet in flat calm seas, and i saw iron man diving that could only be described as "Jane get me off this crazy thing"
Eric

Water temps on Friday - 47/48 degrees at 70ish feet on both the African Queen and the Blenny - vis - about 10 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom