Diving in Thailand in June - is the monsoon an issue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

truemetal

Registered
Reaction score
I will have about a week of free time (23-30 Jun) after a conference in Singapore, so I am thinking about going diving somewhere nearby, and Thailand so far seems to be on top of my list (I have never been there). So far the Andaman Sea diving seems to be more tempting, but it looks like I will be there at the monsoon time. :sad: Is the weather that bad? Also it seems that most of the operators have a decreased number of tours at that time... What's your advice - should I still try to go there, or should I aim at the Gulf of Thailand instead?
Also I would prefer to stay somewhere "on the ground" or take only a short liveaboard criuses, so I can check my emails at least once in a few days - what would be the best location for that?

If you decide to go to Phuket you will be able to do daytrip diving to all the major daytrip dive destinations. It can be rainy and a bit rough in June but weather is rarely so bad that daytrips will be cancelled. Also, quite often towards the end of June there's a bit of a luu in the monsoon and weather can be nice. Rainy season in Phuket does NOT mean rain every day; quite often there are looong stretches of nice weather between May and October. There may even be a chance to go on a short liveaboard to the Similans; some operators have 3 to 4 day trips to the Similans during the whole rainy season.

The Gulf of Thailand should be calm and sunny in June. If you end up there please do not miss out on Sail Rock; it's the BEST dive site around Samui and Phanggan. I would still opt for Phuket though because better variety of dive sites and chance to get to the Similans.

If you know your dates in advance, one of the budget airlines, TigerAir is having 0.88 SG cents fares specials to Phuket. Silkair, June is school holiday month here tho so may be hard to secure these. TG and JetstarAsia also flies direct to Phuket.

There are no budget options to Koh Samui from Singapore. Bangkok Airways flies direct daily for around S$388.

For the ease of transport, availability of low season priced hotels and variety of diving, Phuket is the best place to head. End of June the weather is usually OK. More sun than rain, but don't expect the sea to be flat as a mirror. Day trips run every day, and there are a few operators running liveaboards to the Similan Islands, though these are more easily affected by weather due to the distance from land. Your dates would also match nicely a trip on The Junk liveaboard, which spends 4 days doing all the local sites around Phuket and Phi Phi - a nice alternative to doing day trips.

Some dive site information:

Phuket

Phi Phi

Happy Diving!

If your in singapore, take a flight to kota bahru in the north of malaysia and dive the Perhentian Islands. Waters will be clear and calm and its some amazing diving. Phuket is great and the diving is awesome but if you are on a tight schedule and hit a patch of bad whether then not so great. If you have not been to Phuket before, then take time to find at least a couple of weeks and come to Phuket. Even in two weeks you'd be hard pushed to fit in all the different dive destinations around phuket.

Hi all - I'm ew to this forum but recognise a few names from TT, anyway I agree with #6 - although I wouldn't say the diving in Perhentian is amazing, it is as good as the diving around Phuket and it is dry season there. Only thing is i don't think you can fly Sing to KB, you would have to cross over to JB and fly from there - may have to go via KL with Airasia but it would be cheap.

Other Malaysian options from Singapore is Redang or Tioman on Berjaya Air (http://www.berjaya-air.com/) and stay at the resorts there for some nice diving.

Guess what we're saying is that although Phuket is always nice, there are other options from Singapore without gambling on the weather.

Thanks everyone for their advices, I am now seriously considering the Perhentian island option - but it seems that it is more difficult to find a flight connection there.

If I will decide to go to Phuket and take some day trips - what is the wisest way to arrange it: look for a dive package which includes diving and accommodation, or arrange those separately? Since the island is big, I would assume I should arrange the dives first, and then look for a hotels nearby the boat departure point?

To fly to Perhentian, you got to make your way over Malaysia and take Air Asia. If not, take the bus from Spore. I am planning to go there soon too! probably after world cup.

Truemetal,

June is definitely the high-season for the islands in Malaysia. My dive in Tioman a few weeks ago was the best yet I've experienced in Malaysia. Clear waters, great viz and day-long sunshine. The most popular dive spots can be found at the islands of Redang, Perhentian, Lang Tengah and Tioman (my own travelogue is in the signature).

But if you really want to go to Phuket, nobody can stop you, except the weather perhaps?

The closest dive-able island from Singapore is Tioman (or Bintan in Indonesia?). Bus trips to Mersing jetty should take less than 5 hours. Merang Jetty (for Redang Island) or Kuala Besut Jetty (for Perhentian Islands) will require overnight bus trip.

If you are taking a flight, Johor Bharu airport (JHB) offers flight to Kota Bharu (KBR) on AirAsia (AK), from which the Kuala Besut jetty is about 1 hour away. If you are from Kuala Lumpur International (KUL), then you can fly to KBR or Kuala Terengganu (TGG) on Malaysia Airlines or AK. From TGG, it is 30 mins by taxi to Merang Jetty where you can catch boats to Redang Island.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom