diving in the florida keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Key Largo for the diving hands down. I am not a resident but have made annual trips to the keys for the last 5 years. Before I discovered the Key Largo I was diving in the Ft. Lauderdale Pompano Beach area. For me, I much more enjoy the keys. I recommend Rainbow Reef for begginers. THey offer a free guide and go to shallow sites every day. The reefs in the area are very nice. With the shallow water you get one hour bottom time. Much more time for your girls to take in the sites. I also recommend Islamorada, these reefs are really shallow 20-25 feet. I recommend Conch Republic or Key Divers. IF you need the best of both worlds. I would start in KEy West and get the party out of the way early. Take the 2 hour trip north and stay several days in Key Largo. You can learn alot from entering Key Largo scuba diving into a search engine. Lots of info. good luck. For Key Largo, stay in one of the hotels in the marina area. Holiday Inn, Marriot, Marina del Mar. Holiday Inn and Ramada are owned by the same parent company. Stay at the cheaper one and use all of the accomodations at both. nice pools at the holiday inn.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine an I have stayed at the Marriott a few times in Largo. Very nice facility.

We bring a boat with us and my only experience with any LDS is Ocean Divers and that is because it is close to the reefs and we can pull the boat right up to the fill station.

Lots of good advise here.

Rob, it only FEELS like 150 miles. :shocked2: Actually Mile Mark 0 is in Key West. Coming up the Overseas Highway, Marathon, the "heart" of the Keys, is MM50. "Downtown" Key Largo is at MM100. Just about the last bit of civilization in the Upper Keys is Gilbert's at MM108; not much between there and the mainland but a marina or two.
The actual distance is 100 miles when you drive straight. But for many drivers coming out of KW, because of the drinking and partying they do, and how they'll be swerving all over the road, they end up driving about 150 miles to get to KL.:D

For hotels, Holiday Inn, Ramada, and Marina del Mar are sister properties to each other. Ramada runs specials once a while. There is a F&F rate now, for stays till end of Apr. Keep checking, as they run those promotions once a while. There could be another one later on that can be applicable to your dates.

Best.Quote.Ever. :rofl3: Mind if I borrow it for my signature?
Mais oui; noblesse oblige. (And ... I'm flattered by your compliment and impressed with your politesse.)
Thank you thank you! I want to ask you why your username is F106A. My father was one of the engineers for the X-15.

We would suggest Key Largo if you want to have things a little more quite and you probably will find some better pricing on accommodations.
For your size of group you may want to look at Amoray Dive Resort as you can rent family rooms with kitchens and it has the dive shop and boat on site, along with kayaks,pool and small beach for use.
If you have any other questions please let us know.

For your size of group you may want to look at Amoray Dive Resort as you can rent family rooms with kitchens and it has the dive shop and boat on site, along with kayaks,pool and small beach for use.
The OP specifically requested 3 stars or above for accommodations. Just sayin'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom