Diving in the Philippines for the 1st time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd certainly narrow it down to two options, Anilao or Puerto Gallera. Other sites have great diving but in three days you don't want to loose time flying while Subic is good for an alternative weekend dive trip but can't be compared to Anilao or PG.

Anilao is closer and can be reached from Manila is around 2.5 to 3 hours, PG is a little further away as you'll need a 2 to 2.5 hour road trip followed by a 1 hour boat trip from Batangas - there are regular ferry's or a private boat from a resort is around 3k PHP ($150 US) each way.

For me the diving in Anilao is much better and less crowded, although PG does have the Canyons, Verde Island is by far the best diving in PG although it's not much closer to PG than it is to Anilao - although most PG resorts will go to Verde while Anilao resorts will require advance warning.

If you are looking for night life then Anilao would score between 0 and 1 out of 10 while PG would be at the other end of the scale.

If night life isn't the main aim of the trip I'd avoid staying in PG and go for Anilao with a potential one day trip from Anilao to Verde Island (usually about 4-5k Php for the return boat trip).

However, as has been said a few times if you choose either location, or anywhere else here for that matter, you'll have a great time :)

Hope that helps,

Karl

We are interested in diving in the Philippines and there seem to be many choices. We are looking for a spot with easy transportation from Manila for about 3 days in October - November. My husband and I are both experienced divers. Any recommendations for a first visit? Thank you.

What do you like to see? Reef fish? Larger Pelagics? Wrecks?

From Manila, I would suggest several places: Anilao, Baloy Beach near Subic, Puerto Galera, or perhaps Alona on Bohol.

Of these, I think the most variety is at PG. I love it. Wide variety of dive experiences, from macro to wrecks (well, dinky ones). If you want to see warships on the bottom, check out Subic Bay. I like Johanns there, Baloy Beach.

Thank you very much to all for your replies! I am very appreciative of all the responses which are very helpful. I hope I have not missed all in my thanks as I am new to this so apologies if I missed someone. So thanks KaylinQ, Bronson, RoatanMan, Scubaduo Adventures, Blue Steal, Codman, jbb, and Centrals. I just completed 190 dives and my goal is to get to 200 before the end of the year. Philippines looks like an option as I expect to be in the region in October and I want to try squeeze in a dive trip in if possible.

Enjoy the PI, the diving is excellent there. Many people have given you some tips, but if you have more preferences on room prices and needs, dive shop big or small, budget or first class, let us know and we can offer up some more advice.

8bef-1.jpg

Oops:

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd106/Doc_Adelman/Philippines 2 Puerto Galera Sabang Beach/

8bef-1.jpg

Puerto Galera has the most varied diving you can find in one stop! Rec; tech; wreck; deep drift;nature, (over 600 species of nudibranch's in the Verde Is. Passage); adventure, (the 'washing machine'); etc.
Sabang is a 'night-life; beach, Little Laguna is quieter, Big Laguna is even quieter.
You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines!!!

Puerto Galera has the most varied diving you can find in one stop! Rec; tech; wreck; deep drift;nature, (over 600 species of nudibranch's in the Verde Is. Passage); adventure, (the 'washing machine'); etc.
Sabang is a 'night-life; beach, Little Laguna is quieter, Big Laguna is even quieter.
You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines!!!

Hey that's not fair!

Malapascua has all of that plus bigger wrecks, and daily sighthings of Threshers and Mantas :D

We don't quite have Sabang's night life thought!

Hey that's not fair!

Malapascua has all of that plus bigger wrecks, and daily sighthings of Threshers and Mantas :D

We don't quite have Sabang's night life thought!

Interesting though - which has the better nightlife - Anilao or Malapascua? :)

Anilao: Within an hr with wheels.
Malapascua: None
Subic: On National Highway near Baloy Beach(Subic), the number of bars with dancers and GRO are mind-boggling!!

I am in a somewhat similar situation in October: I can arrive in Manila late on a Friday, and must take a flight out of Manila midday on the following Wednesday (constrained on either end by business commitments). I decided to go to Anilao so as to minimize the chance of storms interrupting ferries etc. I really liked trip reports by kathydee and Karl_H (plus their responses to my private messages), and they helped convince me that Anilao was a good match for my interests. I ended up convincing a few friends who are now in Hong Kong to join me, and we'll go to Club Ocellaris.

Back
Top Bottom