Diving in the Philippines for the 1st time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, what dive shop can you recommend in Panglao? I'm going in May and shopping for a dive shop. Any thoughts on where to stay? I'm looking for moderately priced clean rooms near dive shop.

I would have to say Puerto Galera is the best place to go for diving, its about 3-4 hours south of Manila, the diving is good, the resorts are nice, I would recommend the Big Apple, rooms for two are about $20 a night and fun diving is about 21-25 dollars a dive. Food is good and cheep an nice meal with a couple beer is about 9 bucks, if you don't have your own gear, rental gear is free. I will be going back to the Philippines next oct for 7 months at a time since Im retire and will be helping out at 3 diving resorts.

If you want to email me about the resorts my email is psulion45@yahoo.com, As I said the diving is fantastic. there is the sabang wreck which is about 100 yards off the beach in front of the big apple, the wreck is about 100 feet down and is loaded with marine live, I never seen so many frogfish and not little ones but big ones, they also have 6 ft clams really nice. Yep I would recomment PG for you dive trip.

As above post, a lot closer than Anilao by 1/2 is Sabang Beach area near Puerto Galera. The ride there in a panga taxi is only about an hour.

Anilao is on the main island of Luzon, so it's a drive from Manila; PG means a banca trip as well as a drive. The bancas don't run at night so depending on your flights it can cost you a night each way

We have returned to the Hotel Atlantis twice now. Having been to a lot of dive destination properties, we can see no reason to change! We really like this operation.

Atlantis is also the most expensive op in PG - that could be a good or bad thing depending on your outlook

With 3 days to dive, subic may be an option

It's easily accessible by road from Manila but the viz in the bay is pretty ordinary; great wreck dives though

there is the sabang wreck which is about 100 yards off the beach in front of the big apple, the wreck is about 100 feet down

There are three wrecks on the Sabang Wrecks site, the deepest is only 70' - there is also the Alma Jane (a different site) off Little La Laguna which is in 100'

I love PG but if you only have 3 days I'd suggest Anilao

My true suggestion would be to extend your trip

I really enjoyed my diving in Anilao, at Club Ocellaris. It turns out that Typhoon Megi rolled through during our trip. We only missed one dive, though, and more importantly by being in Anilao with just a drive to the airport we didn't have any worries about ferry connections back to Manilla getting knocked out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom