Diving in the Philippines...Minimilist diving gear question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is your budget?
Force Pros (L 17 x 12 x 4.2” 3.4 lb.) Significantly smaller than travel fins, very nice for flutter, but harder for tech kicks than their Hockey fins.
- Force Fin Hockey -- XL 18 x 8.5", 4.6 lb., negative https://www.forcefin.com/bob-s-specials/force-fin-hockey-fin
- Hollis F2 -- XL 19.7", 1.7 lb.
- Aeris Accel - XL 21", < 3 lb. Accel
- SP Jets -- 21.8", 5.25 lb. https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.com/fins/fins/jet-fin-w-spring-heel-strap
- SP Go Travel -- XL 22", 2.6 lb, Scubapro Go Travel Fin
- Deep6 Eddy -- XL 22", 2.5 lb. Deep 6 Eddy Flippers
- APEKS RK3 -- XL 22.5 x 9.5", 2.75 lb.

+1 on Deco sidemount rig. It is on my if-I-travel list.
Starter Scuba Suiting Scrooge-Airline’s Suitcase
SubGravity Trim pockets are nice and compact.

Airport security in the Philippines does not allow regulators in cabin luggage; I suppose they consider them a blunt weapon or something.
I find that rule, if it is a rule, is not enforced.
Travelled Phillipines last few years, last time July / Aug.
I do technical SM so 4 sets of regs in my hand luggage.
Have flown in/out of Cebu and Manilla with no issues on Cebu Pacific, Phillipine Airlines, Cathay and others.
Only Cebu Pacific cares about hand luggage weight and that is easily avoided.

Air Lines do not have any say on what objects being allowed as hand carry.
Scuba regulator is definitely NO but it is entirely up to security personnel's discretion.

Sorry about the late reply guys I have been travelling and thank you so much for your input, very much appreciated.

I have decided on the Apeks R3 fins as they are light and fit in my travel bag, also my own mask and gloves, however, I still haven't solved the lead weight problem as I detest wearing weight belts.

I can reduce a weight belt by fitting weights to the tank strap but the majority of rental BCD's don't have pockets to stow weights so am still pondering a solution to this problem.

Any ideas?

Getting there (-:

>> Airport security in the Philippines does not allow regulators in cabin luggage; I suppose they consider them a blunt weapon or something.<<

Headed to the Philippines in March .... via Korean Air, I don't have ANY checked bags, my carry-on has all my gear and meets weight and size restrictions. So getting into the country IAD-ICN-CEB shouldn't be an issue. Reverse routing on return. CEB-ICN-IAD So I wouldn't be allowed to have my regs in my carry-on to EXIT???

Thanks,

Bob

Headed to the Philippines in March .... via Korean Air, I don't have ANY checked bags, my carry-on has all my gear and meets weight and size restrictions. So getting into the country IAD-ICN-CEB shouldn't be an issue. Reverse routing on return. CEB-ICN-IAD So I wouldn't be allowed to have my regs in my carry-on to EXIT???

I was on the Philippine Siren in October, and we were warned to keep regulators out of cabin luggage when flying out of Cebu. How stringently this regulation is enforced is anybody's guess, but I think it would be prudent to be prepared to check your bag containing the regulator(s).

Sorry about the late reply guys I have been travelling and thank you so much for your input, very much appreciated.

I have decided on the Apeks R3 fins as they are light and fit in my travel bag, also my own mask and gloves, however, I still haven't solved the lead weight problem as I detest wearing weight belts.

I can reduce a weight belt by fitting weights to the tank strap but the majority of rental BCD's don't have pockets to stow weights so am still pondering a solution to this problem.

Any ideas?

Getting there (-:

Get a spare cam strap and a couple of small weight pockets. I put the cam strap and weights towards the bottom of the tank and a couple of pounds in my BC trim pockets further up my torso. No more belt.

Hollis F2 fins are great to travel with and fit in a suitcase easily.

I'd always use fins that require boots as I frequently do shore diving, and without boots this not going to be a nice experience.
If you travel a lot and it is tropical boat diving, a full foot fin is smaller, lighter and inexpensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom