Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And also of course affects buoyancy and the size of the air bubble that you as a drysuit diver have to manage

True. Given this Diver2 situation, what would you do? Would you let the air out of the dry suit which may also trickle some water, as it displaces the air, to manageable buoyancy to get down & search for the CCR & a full 95 BO or stay up plastered on the ceiling? We know the outcome of the latter.

Simple question for you, how does one normally vent air from a drysuit without getting wet?

The diver had no equipment on. Some times you are buoyant no matter what.

As has been discussed, flooding the drysuit was not a good option. What should have been done was having the diver who still had buoyancy control go and retrieve the RB.

My wild guess is air is the insulation. But we are discussing life / death situation decision to make.
You seem to be promoting that surviving this scenario was a matter of a simple choice and seem to not understand the ramifications of the choices you believe you would've made. Things aren't always simple. What may work on a easy dive may add more problems on a complex/advanced dive. :)

6 hours or so deco in a flooded drysuit would be cold, for sure.

Simple question for you, how does one normally vent air from a drysuit without getting wet?

The diver had no equipment on. Some times you are buoyant no matter what.

As has been discussed, flooding the drysuit was not a good option. What should have been done was having the diver who still had buoyancy control go and retrieve the RB.

I think Pete mentioned something about sticking a finger on the neck seal & burping some of the air out of the dry suit in his previous post.

Letting Diver1 to search & retrieve Diver2 gear would be a better option if Diver1 knew the whereabouts of Diver2 gears.

You seem to be promoting that surviving this scenario was a matter of a simple choice and seem to not understand the ramifications of the choices you believe you would've made. Things aren't always simple. What may work on a easy dive may add more problems on a complex/advanced dive. :)
Nothing about this is simple, and all the discussion is regarding doing a flood/partial flood is postulation and debate. People are going to have views. Hopefully none of us will find ourselves in a position to prove or disprove

6 hours or so deco in a flooded drysuit would be cold, for sure.
They didn't have that much deco gas anyhow, they would have been bent as heck if they had reached the surface, wet or dry inside the drysuit.

I think Pete mentioned something about sticking a finger on the neck seal & burping some of the air out of the dry suit in his previous post.

Letting Diver1 to search & retrieve Diver2 gear would be a better option if Diver1 knew the whereabouts of Diver2 gears.
If they knew the whereabouts of the gear they wouldn't have left it behind...

Oh, and I hope you're not serious about the drysuit. :)

Dan, here's a question for you.

How much time does searching for 5mins add to your overall dive time when you're at 290ft?
Good point. That is the calculated decision that needs to be made, make a beeline for the exit with the limited oc bail out gas or use the bail out gas to try and find the ccr and get it back on so you get the advantages of ccr in dealing with the extra couple hours of deco you would rack up taking the time to do so.

I can say that not so long ago I lost my fin in some tight stuff, I looked for about 5 mins and then my buddy spend another 20 looking and no find. We scootered out and it was a non issue. We also were only about 93 ft deep and added quite a bit of extra deco. At 300 that extra 25 mins would have been exponentially worse, of gas consumed and deco added and could be very, very bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom