Diving incident at Eagles Nest Sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they knew the whereabouts of the gear they wouldn't have left it behind...

Oh, and I hope you're not serious about the drysuit. :)

That finger in neck seal is taught as a way of dumping gas to get a uncontrolled rapid assent under control. In rec drysuit classes

How much time does searching for 5mins add to your overall dive time when you're at 290ft?

Recently heard a completely anecdotal rule-of-thumb that I started poking at with some desktop software and, while it certainly isn't exact, it's much closer than "chicken soup cures a cold."

For every 6 seconds at 300+ feet add a minute to deco.

So a 5 minute search? A 25 minute struggle huffing and puffing trying to get into gear?

Balance that with the fact that they were heavily breathing down 95s at 10ATA.

There really wasn't time to stop and draw a fault tree analysis.

Edited to add: Most of the above is not in direct response to you AJ. More to expand on what you said.

Last edited:
Good point. That is the calculated decision that needs to be made, make a beeline for the exit with the limited oc bail out gas or use the bail out gas to try and find the ccr and get it back on so you get the advantages of ccr in dealing with the extra couple hours of deco you would rack up taking the time to do so.

If you could even find it!

Cut and run doesn't seem like the worst option.

Recently heard a completely anecdotal rule-of-thumb that I started poking at with some desktop software and, while it certainly isn't exact, it's much closer than "chicken soup cures a cold."

So a 5 minute search? A 25 minute struggle huffing and puffing trying to get into gear?
Would have added a ton of deco..the gamble could possibly have paid off with regards to how much better dealing with the extra deco in ccr would be..but we also weren't there and their decision, even with the outcome I don't feel deserves to be judged.

Balance that with the fact that they were heavily breathing down 95s at 10ATA.

There really wasn't time to stop and draw a fault tree analysis.

Edited to add: Most of the above is not in direct response to you AJ. More to expand on what you said.

You mean 50 mins, right?

If you could even find it!

Cut and run doesn't seem like the worst option.
Not at all.

Dan, here's a question for you.

How much time does searching for 5mins add to your overall dive time when you're at 290ft?
Off the too of my head it is around an hour

we also weren't there and their decision, even with the outcome I don't feel deserves to be judged.

This.

This right here.

Single best sentence in this entire thread.

You mean 50 mins, right?
I think he means an extra 300 mins of deco based on 5 mins to find and 25 to get back in the gear and sorted.3 0 extra mins at 300 ft

That is 5 hours more deco...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom