Diving Knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a small knife atached to my BC great for cutting really sharp and more easy to use it . I also carry a large knife on my leg better for pounding on tank and other things .

I have not used a knife because I am scared of them. I have Sea Snips if I get tangled in lines. But I had a roommate last year who had 3 knives. She was not used to Kelp (like many east-coast types) and got pretty grippy out here. One time she got ahead of me and managed to wind herself up pretty good. I tried to untangle her, but her 3 knife hilts were lightning rods for the stuff. She managed to reach ONE of the 3 and slash thru the plants. When we were dry, she said, "Thank GOD I had 3 knives. Did you see how badly I was tangled?" I said, "Yeah, but you got tangled up because you had 3 knives." Moderation in all things.:D

Jester once bubbled...
The original poster posted a simple question on the "New 2 Scuba" area. Pretty insensitive of you to jump all over him.

I agree. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a new member to search all the old threads for information when all they really have is a simple question that requires a fairly simple, if redundant, answer. It certainly does not feel very warm, freindly, or supportive to the new member to be told their question is redundant.

From a practical standpoint, if we get too upset about talking about what has been discussed before we would most likely not be talking about much in here at all. Except maybe "why doesn't anyone post here anymore?" and perhaps "where did all the members go?"

Every member has the option of skipping a thread - no one makes you read it - so if it seems redundant to you, just skip it.

Its prety simple and effective for most applications, especially since its blunt tip.

Ahhh, here's something to think about for those of you who are considering a "Rambo" style big-bejeezus knife. I, personally, would only consider a small knife with a blunt tip - lots of air-filled bladders in your SCUBA gear to puncture with a sharp knife tip, not to mention soft, fleshy divers to accidentally gouge. Besides, the blunt tip is a handy screwdriver if you need to change batteries on your computer, etc.

Story: I was loading a buddy's dive gear into the truck after a dive, and felt a prick on my leg. I looked down, and I was bleeding quite a bit. He had a pointy titanium dive knife, which had slipped out of its sheath while in his gear bag, then poked out through the bag (very sharp). I didn't see it, and lifted the bag, which jammed the knife right into my leg, removing a nice chunk of flesh. Still have a scar. Damn pointy knives!

C.

Back
Top Bottom