Diving Kona, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaRok

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My dive buddy and I are going to Kona for the first time next Spring. Don't know where best dive spots are, or what else to expect. We are both Level II Divers. Any ideas about best diving spots would be appreciated. We will be spending 4 days there. Thanks in advance...Scubarok.

Checkout shorediving.com. The local shops will tell you shore diving is not good which is complete nonsense. Pick up some tanks and weights and go diving. Old airport, two step, the sheraton and Honohokou cove were all good. Puoko is an hour and half north is very good.

Don't forget the manta night dive. Post your question on the Hawaii-specific forum for more ideas, or search a bit first to see what others have already said.

Thanks to all for the information. It's nice to hear from people who have actually experienced it. I will follow the leads you have given me. Thanks again ...Scubarok

Just got back from Kauai. This was my first trip to the islands. Whenever I go to a new area, I like to get a guided dive, just to see where the ideal dive spots might be. After the guided, we go on our own.
Agree shorediving.com is a good reference, but it is not updated enough.

Do a boat trip or two (manta and Pelagic ) as already mentioned (Jack's has a big boat which is nice since the seas on the west point look like "victory on the atlantic" sometimes and if your in a small boat that would suck.

then shore dive to your hearts content - most of the near kona guided sites are reachable from the shore and there are tons of sites to explore.

I'll be back in june for a month

I would also recommend the black water dive -- it's a very different diving experience. You won't see big stuff, but you'll see a ton of fascinating small things, and be watching part of the biggest wildlife migration on earth :)

Hookena (Highway 11, mile marker 102) is very good with lots of large animals much of the time.

I have over 100 dives on Maui, only a dozen on Kona. However, I can tell you that while you are there the manta ray night dive is a must. Nearly all dive shops go there. We dove with Kona Honu and they were great. Jack's Dive Locker is also good. All the good diving is on the Kailua-kona side, and I presume you will be staying there. One thing to bear in mind when shore diving- driving from Kailua-kona to some sites does involve altitude gain of over 1000 feet, so plan your profiles to be a little conservative if that driving is a part of your day. Also, don't be surprised when you find the entries on many dives to be a little rugged due to rocky shore line/rocky bottom. All are worth the effort though. Just be prepared for it. Also, expect water temperatures in the 75 to 79 degree range. Have a great time. Do the Manta night dive- it is classic!!
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom