Diving Log Sample

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine is a home made log. it has the (for me ) basics,
date
location name and lat long.
type of dive, initial repeditive
gas air 32 ;36 t25/28
purpose training rec(reational) buoyancy/checkout
buddy DM bubba

Then I leave several lines for comments that set the dive apart from a no comment dive.
gate fee 25.00
gas expensive air 14 32 is 19
felt light will try 2# more lead next dive. fat????? new suit 3mm scubapro suprema plus shorty light at feet will try the jet fins next
photo dive back kick not working for me, new fins no cramping. vis 15-20
tried lavacore and was really heavy----- change to al backplate.
dss bolt on steel plates worked great no trim issues for saltwater dive salinity 37
closed eyes buoyancy check took 5 minutes to hit bottom 5 feet down.
buoy shot went perfect ,,,,,,, reacue team on shore when I surfaced..... next time inform office shack before doing this.

This is my log book I filled for last weekend. OWD 1 and 2 were on Saturday and 3 and 4 on Sunday. Is the information I wrote makes sense ? Mistakes ? Thanks a lot for your help,

OWD_1.jpgOWD_2.jpgOWD_3.jpgOWD_4.jpg

65 degrees surface...95 degrees water. The last time I dived Homesteaf it was around 20 degrees surface and there was ice in the tunnel. Someone even stoked my shorts from a locker do I had to wear wet swim trunks back to the room.

Congratulations on completing your Open Water course.

The log book is just your personal method for remembering that dive. Things that I would include that I did not see on your log book are:

1) That Homestead is fresh water and than in the comments section that it is highly mineralized fresh water. This could help you determine your required weight on your next dive where ever it is...Aurora Reservoir or Cozumel, MX.

2) Did you use a dive computer and if so what make and model? If a computer was used did it calculate air/gas usage for you.

3) While this was your first four dive and the gas should have been air I keep track of the percent oxygen content (20.9), the size of tank I used (80cf) and if it was steel or aluminum. These I put in the comment section.

4) For the location I put the state or country I am diving in, e.g Utah, US and then in the comments section I put Dive Sites: Homestead Crater

5) If you use the tables to calculate your nitrogen exposure be sure to record your Pressure Groups. Even though I use a computer I still record my Max a Depth and Bottom Time on the Dive Profile graph.

6) In the comments section I also will put if the dive is a deep dive, wreck dive, night dive, if I use underwater navigation, if I have a camera and what type it is, was there any swim throughs and did I see any cool animals or other cool features on the dive...just about anything that distinguishes this dive from others.

7) I also include what types of exposure protection I was wearing. You weights will be dramatically different with different types of wet suits or dry suits you wear.

While most of the time no one cares to see your log book, occasionally a dive operator might ask to see it, I have heard of places who do ask to see it as a way to verify your experience level. Also if you go one to the rescue course or higher there are some minimum dive count standards to will need to confirm.

Living on Colorado you might not get to dive as much as you would like to so the log book is a valuable reference for weight requirements on future dives.

Again, congratulations on your OWN course. What store did you go thru and who was your instructor?

Happy Bubbles,
~Oldbear~

Hello Oldbear :)
Thanks for your posting. I did it with Underwater Phantaseas in Lakewood. My confined and OW dives instructors were great. I prefer not to share names :) One thing about the log book, i got confused with the Bottom Time To Date, Time This Dive and Cumulative Dive...Thanks for your help,

Namerg,

I did my Open Water Course with Underwater Phantaseas too...just quite a few years ago. No worries on the instructor as I don't know too many there these days.

If you have not already done so I would suggest you join the Shark Bait Dive Club. There are a great group of local divers who meet at least once a month for diner and a guest speaker. Mark Wolf and Underwater Phantaseas are great supporters of the Shark Bait Dive Club. They also have local dives where Underwater Phantaseas provides free tanks and weights. My GF and I did an underwater pumpkin carving contest in 2013...that was my last Colorado Dive with the Shark Baits.

For some divers they like to track "time" underwater not count the number of dives. so here is how your first four dives would track time:

Dive #1 - Bottom Time To Date = 0:00 minutes, Time This Dive = 0:20 minutes and Cumulative Dive = 0:20 minutes (Bottom Time + Dive time)
Dive #2 - Bottom Time To Date = 0:20 minutes, Time This Dive = 0:20 minutes and Cumulative Dive = 0:40 minutes
Dive #3 - Bottom Time To Date = 0:40 minutes, Time This Dive = 0:20 minutes and Cumulative Dive = 0:60 minutes or 1:00 (depending how you want to record it)
Dive #4 - Bottom Time To Date = 0:60 minutes, Time This Dive = 0:20 minutes and Cumulative Dive = 0:80 minutes or 1:20 (I track total minutes; it make the math easier and I can always divide by 60 to get hours and 24 to get days)

I hope this makes sense.

~Oldbear~

What you did is fine for your qualification dives.

I usually write enough comments to distinguish one dive from the next when I look back. You don't have to, but typical for me might be,

"Out on the (boat) with Captain____ and DM/deckhand _____. Nice day, calm (rough?) seas. Gear was fine, weight maybe 2 pounds heavy, stayed warm enough (or didn't), saw (describe fish, wreck, whatever). Buddied with _____. Went fine (or--"need to work more on buoyancy, or relaxation, or signals, whatever") and I learned _____. "

Just an example. Your mileage may vary.

@oldbear. Thanks for taking the time. I see you added the cumulative times for owd1, 2, 3 and 4 but the added time is if you did them all in one day right ? Otherwise for 3 and 4 would you write almost the same thing that you did for dive 1 and 2 ? NEVER MIND, I had to drop the gear and I asked about it. NOW, I KNOW. :wink::dork2:

Thanks for your help,

Last edited:
.... It's a blast to link media to the dive and go back later and reminisce etc......
Our SDC app does that while diving. As soon as you get out of the water your pictures are already there synchronized with the dive profile :wink:

Where do you get all the info about Visibility ?
- nothing
- I can see my elbow
- and computer
- wrist
- fingers
- bad visibility
- buddys light
- buddy
- average
- good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back