Diving near Brisbane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can go naked then

I dove in 88F/31C water with a 3mm full and roasted the whole time.

Nekked worries me. Aren't there any fishes that may want to go after a water snake? LOL

Box jellyfish aka Stingers depending on time of year. Lycra bodysuit recommended if too warm for a wetsuit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

You can see the boxies, it's those stinkin irukanji you've gotta worry about! Well that's if the saltwater platypus doesn't get you first..

From Brisbane to Cairns is 1,700 km (say 1100 miles) by road, the same distance as Vancouver to Regina, Sasketchewan. It will take two long days of driving.

At Byron Bay I would recommend Sundive, far better than the opposition. As mentioned, it is about two hours from Brisbane to Byron. You will need a 5 mm suit, but you can hire one.

Really great diving.

From Brisbane to Cairns is 1,700 km (say 1100 miles) by road, the same distance as Vancouver to Regina, Sasketchewan. It will take two long days of driving.

At Byron Bay I would recommend Sundive, far better than the opposition. As mentioned, it is about two hours from Brisbane to Byron. You will need a 5 mm suit, but you can hire one.

Really great diving.

I have done that kind of driving. It just isn't that fun.

I know Cairns is the place to go for the GBR, but, how far south does it stretch? How far is that from Brisbane?

---------- Post added June 7th, 2013 at 08:56 AM ----------

You can see the boxies, it's those stinkin irukanji you've gotta worry about! Well that's if the saltwater platypus doesn't get you first..

Why is it that the most beautiful places have some of the most dangerous things?

x2 for sundive..really enjoyed diving with them. dont think you have to worry about box jellyfish and irukanjis as far south as Byron..still got to watch out for the saltwater platypus though :)

x2 for sundive..really enjoyed diving with them. dont think you have to worry about box jellyfish and irukanjis as far south as Byron..still got to watch out for the saltwater platypus though :)

If I somehow make it to the GBR, would I need to worry about any jellies?

How dangerous is the platypus?

If I somehow make it to the GBR, would I need to worry about any jellies?

How dangerous is the platypus?

For the jellies on the GBR, it depends on the time of year. If it's going to be an issue, most dive ops will offer you a full suit or lycra skin to wear.

The biggest issue with the saltwater platypus is that it sneaks up on you really quickly. Not a big deal, but makes it a little harder to avoid a quick nip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom