Diving near Valencia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grassybreakfast

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are going to run a half marathon in Valencia end of October, and thinking about doing some diving around there.

From my research, it looks like diving in the Mediterranean isn't usually very interesting, but have heard some better things about Cabo de Palos, and Costa del Sol in general. What would people recommend in that area? Or should we just fly to the Canary Islands?

Thanks

I was just in Calabardina a couple of months ago but, sadly, wasn't able to dive there. While hiking around the hills, though, I got to see a dive outfit take RIB load of divers out to a nearby point for some diving, which, from my viewpoint looked pretty cool. The water, in March, seemed really clean and, judging by the local fishmongers, quite fecund:

Screenshot 2024-05-08 134008.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-08 134238.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-08 134101.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-08 134332.jpg

It's about 1.5 hrs south of Valencia if you don't stop at everything worth seeing on the way, in which case it'd take 3 or 4 days.

You could do a lot worse for a one-off in the mediterannean!

Cabo de Palos is indeed excellent for diving.
The Islas Hormigas Marine Reserve is just off shore (10 minute rhib ride) which is home to a great variety of marine life - Think huge grouper, octopus, moray, barracuda and tuna.

Your only issue is that it is around a 3-4 hour drive south from Valencia.

If you decide to head across to the Canarys then my personal recommendation for diving would be Tenerife, again some great dive spots in the south of the island with marine life including turtles, lots of different rays and, if you are lucky, angel sharks.

Hope this helps.

If you do decide to head to Cabo de Palos, drop me a line and, if I am free, will show you around. I live around 45 minutes from Cabo and teach there :)

Back
Top Bottom