Diving off a 3 person jetski?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IaDiverJ&L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
my wife's coworker has a 3 man jetski forsale. She want us to dive off of it in the ocean. Maybe pull my Diveyak behind it (slow) with our gear. We have had the diveyak in the ocean a couple of time. Kind of work ok for both of us, but it is a overload. One person is good. Just need a little imput on the jetski!

You're going to use a 3-man jetski to tow a diveyak to dive off southern California? Something just does not seem right with this picture. Maybe if you had a dead flat calm day and only went about 30 feet offshore, that might work if you kept your dive time to a reasonably safe four minutes.
It seems like a pretty good way to lose a bunch of gear too if the diveyak capsizes.

Um ... no. I have a couple jet skis. They are not in any way suitable as a dive platform for any type of diving in any type of condtions. Period. Trust me on that one :wink:

Also, re: the kayak, unless you only go straight on perfectly calm water, you will capsize :)

Like I said before, we had the Diveyak out a couple of time in head wind and medium surf (3 to 4 feet) I had my stuff tied down and my wife had hers on, hanging off the back, kicking out. It was working (was she kicking hard? ;-) ! ). Coming in with both of our gear tied off (her Bc and tank on a teather line) and both of us sitting, with me paddleing. Not a perfect 90 degrees to the wave (surf) we did roll the diveyak in 3 feet of water. Didn't lose anything off the diveyak. It was close to a perfect landing, just off a couple of degrees off to the wave. I have done it before (without the wife and her gear), and no problem. it was cool rinding the surf onto the sand. We have done a lot of shore dives (at least 40 times, 2 to 3 dives a day) off the coast of southern Florida, with some pretty big waves, and got good at putting our fins on in the water. Sink, crawl on the bottom, and check composs to make sure we are not heading back to shore. Sometime it is pretty rough untill we get in deeper water. I'am not to to fond of the Jetski idea, but maybe a seadoo underwater scooter for one of us (with diveflag of course) , and meet out in deeper water, well past the surf. The nice thing about the Diveyak is you can use most of your air, then surface and either chank out the tank or paddle back to shore. And the Diveyak tows ok under water with the larger diveflag on. Anyway just some of my thoughts on it. Jeff

IaDiverJ&L:
my wife's coworker has a 3 man jetski forsale. She want us to dive off of it in the ocean. Maybe pull my Diveyak behind it (slow) with our gear. We have had the diveyak in the ocean a couple of time. Kind of work ok for both of us, but it is a overload. One person is good. Just need a little imput on the jetski!

Yahama makes a 3 seater called the SUV. It's hugh, has comparments for tanks and gear to slide in, etc. As i have a 21' boat, my friend follow's me all around here in FL on his 3 seater on calm day's, in the ocean, and dives off it !!!

He has a radio, speaker's, ship to shore radio, dive flag, etc, man i wish i had a picture, it's the funniest thing, but it works !!!

Would i recommend it, not really, does it work, if you pick your day's, anything would just about, just get back in shore before the storms pick up, and you'll be ok :wink:

FLTEKDIVER:
Yahama makes a 3 seater called the SUV. It's hugh, has comparments for tanks and gear to slide in, etc. As i have a 21' boat, my friend follow's me all around here in FL on his 3 seater on calm day's, in the ocean, and dives off it !!!

He has a radio, speaker's, ship to shore radio, dive flag, etc, man i wish i had a picture, it's the funniest thing, but it works !!!

Would i recommend it, not really, does it work, if you pick your day's, anything would just about, just get back in shore before the storms pick up, and you'll be ok :wink:

Did some dives with a jet ski,used it to pull a raft,with the gear,
Folks thought we were nuts=they were right! it worked but it was only on calm and Flat days,to get gear back on raft no fun,and you had to have no guys with weight belts,and still had to pull your lead out of pockets to get stuff on raft,Jet skis of any size and not at speed tip!,tired and over worked divers can have a hard time getting on with extra weight of water in wet suit,so I got a boat again !dive platform and a ladder I built=sweet!

Instead of the 3 person jet ski why not find a used avon or zodiac. The price differance cannot be that great and you would have a dive platform that is stable and can haul who and what you want.

Scubakevdm:
HI Kevin,
Too bad you got a ride to the Keys I should off came down and got the Benz rag top out,We would look good going south eah?not sure were the dive kits would fit but next time!

moneysavr:
HI Kevin,
Too bad you got a ride to the Keys I should off came down and got the Benz rag top out,We would look good going south eah?not sure were the dive kits would fit but next time!

Yes sir! Next time! I'm sure we could figure out how to fit two teeny sets of gear in that big ole trunk!

Back
Top Bottom