Diving off a 3 person jetski?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IaDiverJ&L:
my wife's coworker has a 3 man jetski forsale. She want us to dive off of it in the ocean. Maybe pull my Diveyak behind it (slow) with our gear. We have had the diveyak in the ocean a couple of time. Kind of work ok for both of us, but it is a overload. One person is good. Just need a little imput on the jetski!

Do you plan to anchor this pea shooter? or is someone staying on it while you dive? Seems to me you'll need a lot of rope if you anchor it in deep water. More space. But your gear should be OK. Just wear your fins and mask and hang your weights across the seat. Inflate your bcd hooked to the the tank and tie it in and they'll float if the kayak capsizes.
It could be done and I would have when I was a crazed surfer in my 20s. Well, maybe even my 30s. But for about the same money you should be able to get a used boat and motor. That would be my choice. Then you can fish with it too. Hank

Hehe, you really don't want to try to anchor your ski in anything other than calm water. At speed, jetski's are very stable. At rest, they're very easy to tip over. If you want a jetski for watersports, they're a whole lot of fun, but while you could use it as a dive platform in very specific conditions, it's really not a good idea.

j_c_a:
Hehe, you really don't want to try to anchor your ski in anything other than calm water. At speed, jetski's are very stable. At rest, they're very easy to tip over. If you want a jetski for watersports, they're a whole lot of fun, but while you could use it as a dive platform in very specific conditions, it's really not a good idea.

I'm not so experienced with jet skis. I have a Yamaha 650 but only rode it for an hour or so. My son then crashed it into our dock and cracked the hull...and his rib. But aren't they pretty water tight if they fall over?

Hank49:
I'm not so experienced with jet skis. I have a Yamaha 650 but only rode it for an hour or so. My son then crashed it into our dock and cracked the hull...and his rib. But aren't they pretty water tight if they fall over?

Ouch. Hope everything works out w/ both your son and the ski.

As far as water tightness, not so much. If they turn over momentarily, the air trapped in the motor compartment will usually keep them from completely flooding. If the motor compartment does get flooded, it's not gonna start and you will probably have a nice repair ticket waiting. If you look on the stern, most jekskis have stickers instructing which side to roll up if capsized in order to get the least water in the motor compartment. It's also a good idea to keep a spare set of spark plugs and wrench on board, 'cause if the plugs get wet, it's not restarting. On the up side, they are bouyant even if flooded, so they won't just sink.

As far a flipping them, during normal riding it's pretty hard. Momentum makes them very stable. That being said, you don't want to sit still in heavy wave action 'cause that's when they're very vulnerable to flipping.

Well, at least there must be room for a dive flag according to the Yahmaha website

The dive platform looks like it makes for an easy entry!

IaDiverJ&L:
my wife's coworker has a 3 man jetski forsale. She want us to dive off of it in the ocean. Maybe pull my Diveyak behind it (slow) with our gear. We have had the diveyak in the ocean a couple of time. Kind of work ok for both of us, but it is a overload. One person is good. Just need a little imput on the jetski!

You can get a good small boat ,motor and trailer for the amount of money you are considering spending on a "toy". If not, look around for a good inflatable, preferably one with a removable hard bottom that has planing capability. much more comfortable, safe and versatile......not to mention a h2ll of a lot less in maintenence.

Good luck with whatever floats your boat.

Regards,

Can't you gear up before you leave the shore.........will look funny, but I think it could work.

I think that I could not possibly think of a worse dive boat than a jetski. Is this something of a joke? People are going to think that kayak is one heck of a giant slalom ski being towed behind a jetski--holy cow! The kayak is great depending on the model. Perhaps get your wife her own kayak. Any small inflatible would do much better than a jetski. Dude! N

Excellent idea, I've thought of diving off mine many times. The Jetski and its cousins are the most ausome watercrafts ever invented. Just dive off the back hanging on to the anchor line and drift with it. The newer 3-seat models have plenty of room.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom