Diving on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolov:
if the orientation of the right would be facing the sea, the only viable private resort would be that of Spikes Brothers place. is this the place you are refering too?

Not the Spikes Brothers place. It used to be a private family resort but I guess the first generation got a bit older and got busy with other things. Three toilets/baths are still in place. The rooms need fixing but the place should be great for tents. My buddy used to bring a portable compressor and a couple of tanks. The caretaker looks after his food.

A few meters out of the water is a patch of white sand surrounded by corals. He calls it "Jason's school". That's where he brings all his students prior to the graduation dive at the Cathedral.

BARNACLE BOY:
Not the Spikes Brothers place.

slightly to the right of Ligpo island, then that would be the Ligpo island resort on the beach side, to the right of that would be the former EL Capitan Resort now Divers Sanctuary. Now i remember a hut just off El Capitan right after their lot. would that be it?

chip104:
Make sure to include barbeque grills!!!!

Cowboy diving without barbque ain't complete. How can you go wrong? The place is right in front of the Ligpo corals. We actually go there all the time. Other divers have signified financing the development of the place. Anybody who goes there will immediately realize the potential.

demonic_death:
Hi guys!

I would like to know your suggestions regarding diving in Anilao and Puerto. I did a bit of research and so far all I have seen is that Big Apple resort in Puerto charges the cheapest for accomodations and dives ... I have around 5 people I can pull anytime I wish to dive ( Which means the boat rental can be shared). Any suggestions for the cheapest accomodations in Anilao, Puerto, etc?

Check out Scandinavian Divers in Puerto Galera. I believe they are cheaper than the Big Apple, plus I've used them myself and have been happy with them.

However, if you want the cheapest possible, then it's probably best just to go there, walk around the beach and negotiate with different dive resorts for the best deal. The beaches there are full of dive resorts.

paolov:
slightly to the right of Ligpo island, then that would be the Ligpo island resort on the beach side, to the right of that would be the former EL Capitan Resort now Divers Sanctuary. Now i remember a hut just off El Capitan right after their lot. would that be it?

I will try to take a picture of the place for you guys to have a better idea.

this is the area where there is a partially built stone wall fence and beside it is another lot whereby there ia a broken stone wall . is this the area you are refering to?

BARNACLE BOY:
Slightly to the right of Ligpo Island Resort is what appears to be an abandoned resort. Its actually private but had been neglected for a long time. A dive buddy of mine owns the place.

We have this idea of converting it to a dive camp where divers can sharpen their skills. No frills. Good straight forward food or bring your own. Bring your own tent. Water is free. Take home your trash. We have not pinned down the final format.

The tanks and compressor is yet another issue but should not be that difficult.

If you guys are interested drop me an email at dimayuga@mozcom.com. Maybe we can put something together as a community.

I dove at Apo Island Dumaguete. Paid P650 for aircon room at Dumaguete Royal Suite hotel. Good clean hotel. Great food--you should try the sizzling bulalo. The morning after we were picked up by the van of Scuba Adventures that took us to Apo Reef. Since I was solo diver I spent P3500 for 3 dives. We picked up some chicken joy and drinks from Jollibee for lunch. Try to pack some piyaya--good to restore energy! Maybe you can try going to Dumaguete via SuperFerry and for the dive van to pick you up at the pier and drive straight to the boat--that saves you airfare and no fly time back to to Manila.

I dove at Apo Island Dumaguete. Paid P650 for aircon room at Dumaguete Royal Suite hotel. Good clean hotel. Great food--you should try the sizzling bulalo. The morning after we were picked up by the van of Scuba Adventures that took us to Apo Reef. Since I was solo diver I spent P3500 for 3 dives. We picked up some chicken joy and drinks from Jollibee for lunch. Try to pack some piyaya--good to restore energy! Maybe you can try going to Dumaguete via SuperFerry and for the dive van to pick you up at the pier and drive straight to the boat--that saves you airfare and no fly time back to to Manila.

Actually, the cost depends on the DM . . . our dive last sat at AquaV was pretty expensive compared to my other dive at the same resort, with a different DM, with 3 dives, with ala carte food, rentals and all. He set us with a flat rate of P650/dive, the bill came out 2,300 for a day trip. The last time I dove there it as only 1,700 with the same inclusions. So Iris, Im hinting, let's try to dive with another DM soon. :p

Following on the topic of food. . . . If I could just bring my own, it would be better. AquaV food are way expensive. (and most of the time not worth the servings provided) But then again, I don't think they would allow it, unless you eat in the car :p.

For Anilao per se, as long as they have showers and a toilet, you're all set for a good day trip. If you're tired you can sleep on the chair or lie on the sundeck wherever your sleepy eye takes you hehe. Cowboy diving, I like the idea of that, im one of those budget conscious divers that wish diving was a CHEAP sport. . . but then again . . . .

ishbaby:
Actually, the cost depends on the DM . . . our dive last sat at AquaV was pretty expensive compared to my other dive at the same resort, with a different DM, with 3 dives, with ala carte food, rentals and all. He set us with a flat rate of P650/dive, the bill came out 2,300 for a day trip. The last time I dove there it as only 1,700 with the same inclusions. So Iris, Im hinting, let's try to dive with another DM soon. :p

Following on the topic of food. . . . If I could just bring my own, it would be better. AquaV food are way expensive. (and most of the time not worth the servings provided) But then again, I don't think they would allow it, unless you eat in the car :p.

F . .

you should dive with my group. in anilao with boat and dm you can expect to pay 1300 for 3 dives with equipment rental excluding food. 1500 tops.

food in aquav is also cheap their spaghetti is like 110 and fills me up good.

Back
Top Bottom