Diving on the Big Island in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WileEDiver:
Pity you? Aren't you the one who was over here in Maui for, like, forever? :wink:
Yeah that's true, but, but, I'm in Oregon now and I think that makes me pity worthy :eyebrow:

Had to add my two cents worth. My son and I made the night manta dive with Jack's Diving Locker this April, and it was one of my most memorable dives! To have those huge beautiful creatures head straight for you then at the last second miss you, perhaps lightly touching your hair as they go over you, is an experience every diver should have. I highly recommend it.

Ancient Mariner:
Had to add my two cents worth. My son and I made the night manta dive with Jack's Diving Locker this April, and it was one of my most memorable dives! To have those huge beautiful creatures head straight for you then at the last second miss you, perhaps lightly touching your hair as they go over you, is an experience every diver should have. I highly recommend it.
No argument there, Mariner. We did 2 Manta Ray dives (one with Jack's and one with DiveTek). Both nights there was just one manta that showed up (but many nights none show, so we were lucky). We hear that on the nights when 14-17 show up it's really too much of a good thing in that you're really overwelmed and don't know where to look next. But to be there in their presence is awesome--you don't feel much like a diver (plastered to the ocean floor), but greatful that you're a scuba diver and can just be there.

OK, changing gears for a sec: on the way over, United was showing "Along Came Polly." Didn't see it when it came out and not what I would call a great film, but the line "Are you for scuba?" has been an ongoing joke for my group all week. Has anyone else been enjoying that line as well?

i just got back from kona. we did 5 dives with divetec, 2 friday (evening and night) and 3 on saturday. keith, collin, and chuck were great. excellent briefings, nice boat, great all around experience. they told us what to expect, as far as animals, and sure enough it was there. chuck told us to look for the only pair of tinker butterfly fish at rec depth on this side of the island and there they were, awesome.
my only disappointment was the lack of mantas, but now i have an excuse to go back and do some more dives. there is no comparison to oahu, kona is way way better. i can't wait to go back. dive tec is a great operation and i'll definently look them up for my return trip.

WileEDiver:
Kelpmermaid, of all the dive shops in all the towns in all the world, what a kick running into you at Jack's! It was great to see you again. I hope you enjoy your diving over here, and I'll look forward to seeing you down your way sometime soon.

Don't worry, I won't sing. It was good to see you, and I, too, had a great time in Kona. I love those turtles!
We went out one day with Jack's and one day with Dive Makai. Both were good operators, but I think Lio Kai probably has the coolest mother-in-law in the world.
:wink:

kelpmermaid:
I think Lio Kai probably has the coolest mother-in-law in the world.
:wink:

LOL She is definitely one cool lady.

Glad you had a good time while in Kona.

Matthew J D'Avella

After diving Kona last week, I headed out to Monterey today. Fifty-two degree water and 8' viz.

As John Denver sang, "Gee, it's good to be back home again." <Not!>

Actually I love Monterey diving, it's just a shock to the system. I'll get used to it again.

Dupe posting. Must have hit submit more than once. Sorry.

WileEDiver:
After diving Kona last week, I headed out to Monterey today. Fifty-two degree water and 8' viz.

Actually I love Monterey diving, it's just a shock to the system. I'll get used to it again.
When we got back after doing 100+ dives on Maui last year it was pretty rough getting back into Oregon waters. My wife dove once here and then didn't dive for 3 months she was so bummed. Now we're both back into our normal dive too much routine but it took awhile.

WileEDiver:

As John Denver sang, "Gee, it's good to be back home again." <Not!>

I can relate to that very directly. I am wearing my "Jack's" visor on Catalina hoping that it will help ease the withdrawal symptoms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom