Diving past 130' on air with a single 80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C4? Cool.....

Much better than that diesel and fertilizer concoction that i use to catch my fish.....

Sarcasm again people....sarcasm.... :wink:

Mike Veitch:
C4? Cool.....

Much better than that diesel and fertilizer concoction that i use to catch my fish.....

Sarcasm again people....sarcasm.... :wink:

Just watch those suckers fly out of the water!!!!

You say you are in Oahu? Check out Aaron's Dive Shop @ 262-2333. They offer some DSAT Courses for Apprentice Tec and Deep Tec. You would certainly get the deep training you want this way.

Mike Rushton

Aaron's Dive shop is a great place that's where I picked up my Green Force light, and I've seen pictures of Jerry Garcia diving with them! I do plan to take TDI courses at Island Divers Hawaii located at Hickam Airforce Base. It's much closer to work for me!

Whale Whisperer:
Can anyone give me their opinions on diving greater than 130' on air with a single 80 tank?
I won't do it, but most folks who do make it ok. As long as you don't have a freeflow or blow an o-ring you should too.
E

We dove the Spiegel-Grove on single 80's, and bopped down to the sand, which is 134'. Then we went back up to the deck, explored for a little while, and at 2000psi, began our ascent and safety stops. All together, it was a 40 minute dive. Not too bad...

I don't like to go below 40-60 feet without my Pony. I bought it after a couple of bad experiences with boat-pick buddies on The Grove with the 100+ ft dives in mind, but it's just a 19 cf bail-out bottle, - which I have since screwed up with in my learning process.

Divers routinely go to 130 ft with good buddy work, safely enough. I've been beyond that with both good buddy and my pony, and one oops dive on an 80 with my pony that I don't like to discuss. Also saw a tech inst disappear into the abyss on a 265 ft dip with only an 80 cf air tank that the other two in the group knew he was gonna take, but I didn't. I'm still upset about that, he knows it, and as his friend - I'll remind him again now and then.

For you, forget it. Just because others do such doesn't make it safe. Dive safe, set a good example for others even under peer pressure in some groups, live to attend the others' funerals.

Going into a cave at 180' with a single tank, narced out of your mind (they are whether they admit it or not), is just kicking Darwin in the b****, begging him to remove you from the gene pool.

Terry

Whale Whisperer:
I'm asking this because I recently visited Guam and inquired about Wreck, Tec, and Cave diving because I may end up moving there in the near future. In one of my conversations at a Guam LDS, I was told about a cave dive that started in a wall down at 180', so I said "WOW! That's advanced Trimix levels with Doubles!?!? Right?" The answer I got was laughter in the entire room LOL (I'm laughing with them). I felt pretty stupid and ignorant, and I tried to understand why they thought this was humerous. Some explained that Trimix was unnessecary and it would be impossible to fit the enterance with doubles, and Narcosis wouldn't be that bad. I have personnaly experienced narcosis, and I can say that my reaction/processing times are noticeably reduced.

Web Monkey:
Going into a cave at 180' with a single tank, narced out of your mind (they are whether they admit it or not), is just kicking Darwin in the b****, begging him to remove you from the gene pool.

Terry

Too late, some of those people have probably already had kids. You can't stop stupidity, or even really slow it down. Best you can do is not contribute.

A

My concern would be gas consumption rate. I suck air as though my life depends on it. An Al100 lasts me about 20 min on a dive to around 80-90 feet. With my gas consumption rates I would get to about 180' only to look at my gauge and say "holy crap, I was supposed to be on the boat 150 psi ago".

Back
Top Bottom