Diving Philippines in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haiawata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings, everybody,

I know that May is on the edge of diving season on Philippines but currently that is the month that might work for me. In this region, I have been diving Thailand and Cambodia in summertime with a different success. I just want to hear from those that have been diving in May- June on Philippines to weight my chances.

Thanks a lot,
and have nice bubbles!

Haiawata

The last two years I spent the month of May diving in the Philippines. It was great! Very little rain or bad weather. Less busy as well. Weather patterns seem different than before. This is actually my preferred time to go.

I say, if you want to dive, then dive.
The weather is unpredictable at the best of times in the Philippines, and is also dependant on where in the Philippines you are.
Luzon has had typhoons recently... Cebu hasn't.
At least not in the news reports I've seen.

Having dived in the Philippines during Feb, March, April, August and September (14 weeks) of this year I can say the weather has been pretty consistent in it's inconsistency throughout.

Helpful? I thought not.
The Philippines is a beautiful country with exceptionally varied and inspiring dive sites, and some of the friendliest people you're likely to meet.
So who cares if it rains a bit?
If you have concerns with flights, i.e. flights being grounded on Busuanga (Coron), then just keep a day in hand to get back to wherever you have to fly home from.

Nic

Last edited:
Yes, it is helpful. Being dived for that long in Philippines as you are, what sites/places would you recommend? I don't mind rain, I do mind the visibility.

yep... there's a storm brewing alright.
dive dive dive ..... sometimes there's good visibility... sometimes there's not...
but if you can hit the summer months.. that would be great visibility

Summer is April and May.. but sometimes Summer heat starts on March!

but basically July to Nov is Rainy. It can be very hot or it could be very cold. the weather is really messed up right now.

but we dive all year round. frequently checking weather conditions. the internet is a pretty good place to check for weather.

but for a vacation. it's preferable you go march, april , may. June might be stretching it. but still possibl.e

I don't know about the spring in the Philippines, but I was just in Puerto Galera last week and even though we just had 2 typhoons blow through (one the day I landed!) the visibility was still great!

[video=youtube;1GoizDp0DLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GoizDp0DLE[/video]

[video=vimeo;30217210]http://vimeo.com/30217210[/video]

Hi,
I live in Cebu and for the past 11 months I dive at least once a wk. This morning we had a tropical storm come through. Just alot of Rain. Cebu is on the outskirts of the Typhoon Belt. Most Typhoons go into Luzons area ( I have lived in the PI for almost 4 yrs now). I ways also, suppose to be with my Instructor today to do some skills testing. But, we called it off. Not because of the weather. But, because of a wife not wanting her husband to dive. When I called the resort up that we dive at. They said, conditions were very good for diving. Like someone said, its a hit and miss.
Just my .02 cents.
Kurt in Cebu

Back
Top Bottom