Diving post Asthma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a precaution before every dive I will use a rescue inhaler and that is the only time I ever need one.

this would concern me.
1-if your asthma is such that you feel you need to take your inhaler before diving as a preventative measure i would be concerned
2-i don't know if there are any studies regarding these types of meds being used while diving at depth but i think caution should always be used when using any meds.

I too have (very) well controlled asthma. I carry a rescue inhaler in my dive first aid kit but have NEVER needed it. It's been years since I used a rescue inhaler at all. I am on maintenance meds to prevent asthma attacks even though I've not had an attack unrelated to a respiratory infection in more than 8 years. 99.5% of the time, I have no issues or restrictions of activities including strenuous sports activities (like running). The.4% of the time when I may be congested or wheezing...I don't dive. I was evaluated by both a pulmonologist and a physician versed in dive and sports medicine and was given an all clear....for anything.

The key thing is that everyone is different and every case is different. Make sure you are fit physically AND medically to dive. 'nuff said.

this would concern me.
1-if your asthma is such that you feel you need to take your inhaler before diving as a preventative measure i would be concerned
2-i don't know if there are any studies regarding these types of meds being used while diving at depth but i think caution should always be used when using any meds.

I use at the sense as what will it hurt? As I said I can run for an hr with no issues and have competed in races. I use it cause I have it. Btw if you dont use it expires in a yrs time.

to each his own. i just always believe that if you can avoid meds in your system, you should.

btw.....you should be watchin the seattle san fran game, not posting on scubaboard. lol

Back
Top Bottom