Diving Puerto Vallarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionessa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
Going on a trip to PV the beginning of August. Any recommendations for a diveshop? We will be two just certed divers and me (a beginner). We will need to rent BC, regs, weights, tanks. We are staying in the Zona Romantica area. Is there good shore diving? Any suggestions on where to eat/visit would be great too!

I thought I would add some more info. As far as i can tell from the forum posts these shops are the ones that make the cut...

Vallartech
Twin Dolphin
Puerto Vallarta Divers
Pacific Scuba Diving
Boca
Puerto Vallarta Scuba

Can anyone lay out the pros of one over the other? We would like a small group with max bottom time and a friendly guide.

Last edited:
I highly reccomend Puerto Vallarta Scuba. My husband and i dove with Alex in April and it was awesome! Alex is very accomodating and his staff is very pleasant!

Hi,
Going on a trip to PV the beginning of August. Any recommendations for a diveshop? We will be two just certed divers and me (a beginner). We will need to rent BC, regs, weights, tanks. We are staying in the Zona Romantica area. Is there good shore diving? Any suggestions on where to eat/visit would be great too!

I thought I would add some more info. As far as i can tell from the forum posts these shops are the ones that make the cut...

Vallartech
Twin Dolphin
Puerto Vallarta Divers
Pacific Scuba Diving
Boca
Puerto Vallarta Scuba

Can anyone lay out the pros of one over the other? We would like a small group with max bottom time and a friendly guide.

Contact Alex here. avega@pvscuba.com

His is a top notch operation. Having gone out with both PV scuba and twin dolphin, I appreciated the attention Alex payed to us and accomodated us at the last minute.
Since you mentioned your newly certified I know you'll be in good hands with him.

We just got back from a second dive trip in PV. We used Local Divers (My Homepage) again and were very happy with the service. Leslie will be your dive guide, and she's an American from Chicago, and very honest and helpful, both for diving and topside recommendations. They will take you out on a panga boat anywhere from El Morro in the north to Chimo in the south. If you are newly certified, I do not recommend El Morro, as there are currents and surge. Chimo is a great location, and you have the option of lunch at the village of Chimo afterwards, which is an experience that is not to be missed. Leslie is especially good with beginner divers, with an incredible amount of patience and really impressed us with how well she interacted and kept alert about our situation underwater. Randy & Walan

We have semi private operation to Marietas Island National Park in Punta de Mita wich includes all scuba pro gear, amenities on board like dry towells, fruits, drinks, cookies; also a PADI professional. We always go out with no more than 6 divers. Check our site so u can see pictures of the spots. www.puntamitaexpediotions.com e-mail: info@puntamitaexpeditions.com tel: 52-3292916649.

I'm back from my PV experience and had a great time going diving with PV Scuba. Two of my friends (who just got their Open Water Certs)and I decided to go with Alex because he offered us the Advanced Open Water and Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty as part of our diving.

On our first day, after a two tank dive, we had an added surprise bonus of going out to Chocota for snorkeling, laying out on private white sand beach whilst eating wood fired carne asada and homemade tortillas. A 2 pm finish time ended up being an all day affair in secluded paradise. Obviously, we kicked ourselves for not bringing a camera.

At sunset the next day, the PV Scuba boat picked us up at the dock in walking distance from our condo in the Zona Romantica. On the way to Los Arcos, the captain swung real close to the reproduction pirate ship that makes its way up and down the Bahia de Banderas so we could get some pictures. The night dive itself was a little confusing due to our inexperience in sorting out group positioning but I saw octopus, lobsters, and probably the biggest puffer to date (there are a lot in PV apparently). With a little more air then my compatriots, I had a chance to play around with the DM in the bioluminescence at depth before ascending.

The last day, some friends joined our boat to go snorkeling while the divers completed the Deep and Nav requirements around Los Arcos. I was paired up with a fellow female diver and we got to do a little exploring on our own after our Narcosis exercises. The Nav squares in low visibility went off without a hitch so Alex set our compasses for the Pinnacle and sent us out to find it. Unfortunately my buddy and I missed our mark a bit and we ended up getting a little deep before we realized our mistake and leveled off with open water all around us. Safe but a little directionally challenged, we were setting our compasses to turn around when a eagle ray glided past us out of nowhere. After surfacing, the boat picked us up easily and we headed to the shop for review and some extra nitrox information.

Overall, the sights weren't as spectacular as say Thailand, but I had a great time with the PV crew. All the rental gear was in good condition and the pace was relaxing. Water was warm and in general the vis was decent. I definitely wouldn't mind returning for diving at Las Marietas and El Morro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom