Diving Quarrys in Ohio. What Wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ez E

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I live in Ohio. I want to do some dives this summer and maybe into fall in quarrys. Any Ohio divers have a recommendation for wetsuit thickness? I was thinking 7mm full length. I want to be able to get the most out of this as I cant really buy multiple west suits right now.

I live in Ohio. I want to do some dives this summer and maybe into fall in quarrys. Any Ohio divers have a recommendation for wetsuit thickness? I was thinking 7mm full length. I want to be able to get the most out of this as I cant really buy multiple west suits right now.
7mm would be adequate for shorter dives in early summer and pretty comfortable in the late summer / fall.

7mm would be adequate for shorter dives in early summer and pretty comfortable in the late summer / fall.
Awesome. What about a hood and gloves? Also what thickness?

How deep do you want to go? White Star is shallower than Gilboa, and so it is generally warmer (as the season progresses). It gets to about 46 degrees or so down at the tubes in Gilboa, even in the late summer. At the platforms and shallower section, it will be in the upper-60s to low-70s by later in the summer. Single-layer 7mm should be fine for most folks. Farmer John and jacket will be best for going down by the Christmas tree and the tubes. But if you just make a short dive down there and then come back up to the various wrecks, a single-layer would probably be okay.

Most people will wear a 7mm hood and 5mm gloves, but again it depends on your profile.

All of this is going to depend on your cold tolerance. I get cold easily, so I dive a drysuit. I know folks who will use a 5mm, no hood, no gloves for teaching, when most of the time is spent at the platforms.

How deep do you want to go? White Star is shallower than Gilboa, and so it is generally warmer (as the season progresses). It gets to about 46 degrees or so down at the tubes in Gilboa, even in the late summer. At the platforms and shallower section, it will be in the upper-60s to low-70s by later in the summer. Single-layer 7mm should be fine for most folks. Farmer John and jacket will be best for going down by the Christmas tree and the tubes. But if you just make a short dive down there and then come back up to the various wrecks, a single-layer would probably be okay.

Most people will wear a 7mm hood and 5mm gloves, but again it depends on your profile.

All of this is going to depend on your cold tolerance. I get cold easily, so I dive a drysuit. I know folks who will use a 5mm, no hood, no gloves for teaching, when most of the time is spent at the platforms.
Im only OW certified and I stay within those depth limits. My plan is to get my AOW maybe next year. Gilboa is on my to do list atleast once this summer. I heard about the thermocline and how it’s noticeably cooler below it. My buddies are going to White Star a couple times this summer/fall snd I want to tag along.

Be careful. You do much diving at Gilboa and White Star and before you know it, you'll be buying your first drysuit.
I dunno. Maybe one day as I get more experience. I read a thread on here the other day about floating to the surface feet first in a drysuit. That doesnt instill much desire in me to try it 😂

I did the same thing you are planning, in the same quarries. I ended up with a 7mm semi-dry with 3mm gloves and was perfectly fine. Summer days can be a bit warm, just unzip neck and flush, heat is gone. Never got cold, if your hands tend to get cold move to the 5mm glove but keep the 3mm for summer, better dexterity and don't need the warmth.

I dove the Ohio quarries for a while in a 7mm suit, 5/3 hooded vest, 5mm gloves, and 7mm booties. That would probably work for most shallow dives mid-late June through mid-September. A semi-dry would be better. If you stay very shallow and you're only diving July and August, you might get away with a 5mm or even 3mm for short dives, but that will be very limiting (and potentially very cold). Circleville twin quarries (now sadly closed) was divable in a 3mm between about July 4 and Labor Day.

Then I wanted to dive in Spring and Fall when visibility is better, but water is colder, so, after swearing I would never buy a drysuit or doubles, I now dive a drysuit and doubles.

If you're only going a few times in the height of summer, you might try renting the wetsuit and seeing how it goes. (Although good fit is key to staying warm, and you're never quite sure how a rental will fit.) If you really like local diving, you will probably wind up with a semi-dry or drysuit.

Edit: one last thought. If you get a 7mm full suit, you can probably use that just about anywhere if you travel. If you're diving Florida or northern Caribbean in December-April, a 3mm might leave you a little cold.

I dunno. Maybe one day as I get more experience. I read a thread on here the other day about floating to the surface feet first in a drysuit. That doesnt instill much desire in me to try it 😂

Well as with anything in diving, you do need to learn how to use one! They are not that hard to learn to dive. A good mentor is all you need.

For cold water diving, there is absolutely no better investment. I spent the first 12 years of my diving life in the Midwest. No piece of equipment improved my diving more than that first drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom