Diving the Florida Keyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also planning my trip to the Keys. I bought my ticket this weekend, and now I am deciding about lodging/dive shop. I was told by a few folks to stay somewhere in the middle of the Keys, and I am looking for something pretty low-end as far as rates go.... cheap but clean and comfortable. Any input? Banana Bay looked like a modest place in the pics I saw, but it would still run about $120 a night according to Captain Morgan's.

Lisa0825:
I am also planning my trip to the Keys. I bought my ticket this weekend, and now I am deciding about lodging/dive shop. I was told by a few folks to stay somewhere in the middle of the Keys, and I am looking for something pretty low-end as far as rates go.... cheap but clean and comfortable. Any input? Banana Bay looked like a modest place in the pics I saw, but it would still run about $120 a night according to Captain Morgan's.

you can get a room at the Holiday Inn in Key Largo for about $100/night.
It's farily nice and it was clean, and just steps away from the dive shops.
Some of the shops have package deals. Sea Dwellers for example has
a deal for 3 nights lodging and 3 days diving (2 tanks/weights) for $299 (plus taxes)

That looks like a good deal, but it looks like that wouldn't be as central, would it? I've been using this site to try to find places in the middle Keys and check prices... http://www.flkeyslodging.net/mklodgingindex.cfm lots of clicking around today. Good thing it's slow at work this afternoon!

morayp:
I dove the Keys a few years ago. Had a great time. Just rented a car and drove south from Ft lauderdale. No plans, not too much information. Kelly's on the bay in Key Largo was good. Upper Keys Dive Center in Taverier should be avoided. Subtropic in Key West was good-two divers with a boat to ourselves. Undersea at Big Pine Key was good.
I don't think you can go too wrong in the Keys. Just remember to live in 3/4 time.

They sold the place to a condo developer.... :06:

Lisa0825:
Lisa,

You might try Hotwire and/or Priceline. I've had good luck with both, but the prices in the Keys do seem to be up in the range you say. (I was pricing the 1/19-1/23 trip I'm thinking of).

Eric

vondo:
Lisa,

You might try Hotwire and/or Priceline. I've had good luck with both, but the prices in the Keys do seem to be up in the range you say. (I was pricing the 1/19-1/23 trip I'm thinking of).

Eric

The cheaper places that still look nice seem to be closer to the mainland. If I don't find a place in the middle Keys for a rate I feel like paying, I'll look at the others. One I heard good things about that was cheap is the HUngry Pelican in Key Largo.

Aside from Priceline, I also have a coupon book with travel deals in it, but I don't know if small, locally owned places will show up in either place.

Lisa0825:

Was just there in late October. (One day post Rita) We stayed at Ocean Pointes Suites Condos in Tavernier. It's about a 20 minute drive from most of the diving in Key Largo but not too expensive. We had a pretty nice one bedroom apt for $140/nt or so. It may be a little north of where you want to be, however.

Diving was good but vis was a little off due to the storm. Never saw another dive boat the whole time we were there and the max we had on our boat was six. Dove Benwood, French Reef, Elbow, etc. Nothing too deep.

Have fun!

Diving the middle Keys means driving farther for diving that's fairly similar to the upper Keys. I personally prefer to dive out of Tavernier. Using Tavernier as a home base, you can dive from Molasses Reef/Duane/Bibb in the north to the Eagle in the south. If you want to dive the Thunderbolt, it's easily done on a day trip.

Lisa0825:
The cheaper places that still look nice seem to be closer to the mainland. If I don't find a place in the middle Keys for a rate I feel like paying, I'll look at the others. One I heard good things about that was cheap is the HUngry Pelican in Key Largo.

Aside from Priceline, I also have a coupon book with travel deals in it, but I don't know if small, locally owned places will show up in either place.

Lisa, There is a Holiday Inn on Marathon (middle keys) that is reasonably priced. It's located next to Abyss Dive Center and close to Tilden's Dive Center. Tilden also has another dive service a few miles north on Hawk's Cay, so you would be centrally located and be able to dive a number of locations. Dave

Lisa0825:
That looks like a good deal, but it looks like that wouldn't be as central, would it? I've been using this site to try to find places in the middle Keys and check prices... http://www.flkeyslodging.net/mklodgingindex.cfm lots of clicking around today. Good thing it's slow at work this afternoon!

You can try Pines and Palms in Islamorada I use to stay there a lot and the prices were reasonable Also a little further up in Tavernier we stayed at Bay Breeze cottages and a cottage was about $140. per night but they had motel rooms also that I'm sure would be more economical. Also don't overlook Amy Slates Amoray in Key Largo if you decide to stay up there I believe they have rooms under $100. Again I had a suite and it was a bit more.Ck the website and they have 2 nice dive boats and a great staff it's real convienent just literally 40' from most rooms to dive dock.
Ed:D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom