Diving: the future

What will be 'standard' equipment in 2030 (tick all that apply)?

• Rebreathers

Votes: 72 57.6%
  • Sidemounted tanks

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Long hoses

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • BP/W

Votes: 26 20.8%
  • Carbon fibre tanks

Votes: 26 20.8%
  • HUD dive computers

Votes: 49 39.2%
  • Wireless SPGs

Votes: 55 44.0%
  • DIN valves

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Helitrox

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Underwater talking devices

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • Underwater GPS

Votes: 81 64.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanks: at best expect gradual improvement/evolution to perhaps somewhat higher metal tensile strengths, still AL or steel, no exotic titanium or carbon fiber materials for the already mentioned buoyancy/fragility/cost issues.

Rebreathers: in theory the technology could be considerably improved in 20 more years, but I don't think they'll break out of the technical arena in just another 20 years....it's kinda like trying to build a 'hydrogen powered' transportation industry....automakers won't produce hydrogen powered cars without filling stations being available and the fuel industry won't build filling stations without sufficient hydrogen powered cars out in circulation buying their fuel. It will take an enormous effort to build up the supporting infrastructure, to get remote liveaboards/locations to prepare/invest in that supporting infrastructure...a chicken-and-egg thing.

(also, expect the up-and-coming future world super powers (China/India) to shape the industry in unanticipated ways....the Chinese will likely develop miniature diver deployable anti-shark torpedo tubes for example.)

Lite-Weight-Gear..absolutely, definitely the wave of the future.....airline weight restrictions will grow ever more onerous, especially with carbon taxes/limits/caps heading our way, penalizing the burning of fossil fuels.

Helitrox: no penetration into the recreational market, especially not in only 20 years....HE is ever more expensive, supplies are on the decline, also remember, HE is a byproduct of a few natural gas fields in the USA, and if carbon 'caps' are deployed, fossil fuels will be on the not-politically-correct list of acceptable power options.

Sidemounted tanks: a specialized fad and won't penetrate the recreational market....at least in the USA, the average diver is getting ever older (mid 40's), ever more out of shape, dual tanks for this crowd ain't happening.

BP/wing: won't predominate in 20 years, but will become a larger presence...I think Halcyon's new adjustable harness system is a glimpse into that future. I do think those here who have already suggested BC's will be equipped with some sort of depth-control autopilot are onto something....cars have cruise control/ rear backup cameras/anti-collision radar systems...I can easily see an electronic BC where you program/type in the desired depth and the autopilot takes it from there....given the ever lower diver standards, this makes sense to me....it might even be linked to one's mask-integrated HUD dive computer where the computer 'controls' the BC, handling one's safety stops, etc., even perhaps a 'sonar altimeter' where you might program the BC with instructions like "keep me 6' above the bottom/reef".

Long-Hoses (and crotch straps) I 'hang' mostly with the generally recreational crowd and there is still healthy resistance to both these 'concepts' among this group. I think the crotch strap will gain wider acceptance as it's a fairly minor alteration...but I'm not seeing the long-hose wierdness factor wearing off in 20 years.

HUD dive masks....a definite candidate for widespread acceptance once the cost factor drops dramatically.

Wireless SPG......no need, the low cost HUD mask will address this need.

DIN valves....at least in the western hemisphere, it will continue to ever so gradually increase in acceptance in the recreational 'space'. However, I'm still amazed at the tenacity of both the Yoke valve and the AL 80 over all these years, that's why I'm making a conservative prediction here.

Underwater Navigation.....the person/company who figures out an elegant solution to this one will be a rich man! ...not convinced GPS will be the answer though....maybe some sort of miniature inertial navigation device like that used in navy subs...maybe download originating coordinates from a docking station on a boat/shop to give the unit a baseline to start and then navigate from the original 'fix' ?

Underwater talking devices....again, another popular item as soon as someone perfects a more elegant solution...20 years of technology progress might be enough to finally achieve this.

...honestly though, I'm taking the darker view, that in another 20 years the oceans will have suffered even more of a catastrophic decline than has already been witnessed.....and that 'good' diving will consist of something between the 'artificial aquarium' dives, where at least you're underwater blowing real bubbles.....or wearing a fancy HUD dive mask that uses a small supercompter to project happy dive scenes onto the mask glass so you can count on seeing whatever you want, whenever you want...all the way to the mental implantation (of say a nice dive trip) just like the movie 'Total Recall'.

...overall, it is my prediction that our technology will reach an elegant climax at about the same time the ocean has finally died...so we'll be "all dressed up with no place to go" !

Last edited:
I expect to see more and more DIN valves beyond just Europe and technical divers. I do think rebreathers will be in much greater abundance, but I just don't see them becoming standard for the typical once every two years in Cozumel vacation diver.

Some things also go in cycles. When I started diving you had a pressure gauge on a hose and your depth gauge and compass on your wrist. A couple of years later it seemed to be all in one and now it is going back the other way due in some part to the influence of the technical or GUE crowd.

By 2030 we will have the whole world MAPPED in high resolution, EVERY STUDENT will use a SCUBA DIVING SIMULATOR and lot of people will VIRTUALLY DIVE online :D (we are getting ready for that)

Regarding UW Navigation devices .... they will become a reality way EARLIER than 2030.

Mark my words.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

By 2030 we will have the whole world MAPPED in high resolution, EVERY STUDENT will use a SCUBA DIVING SIMULATOR and lot of people will VIRTUALLY DIVE online :D (we are getting ready for that)

Regarding UW Navigation devices .... they will become a reality way EARLIER than 2030.

Mark my words.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I was also thinking in virtual diving, but I find it difficult to figure out how to recreate a virtual "feel like an angel with no gravity" that you feel underwater.

Thinking about rebreathers, I was trying to imagine a device that extracts oxygen from the water (oxygen diluted like fishes or as part of the water molecule) with a little oxygen bottle just in case. The power consumption could be an issue, but electric car battery technology will provide the required elements.

Another topic could be masks with displays to recreate the environment in case of low/night/no visibility waters, something like the masks that firemen use with infrared cameras in smoky situations.

Finally, ocean level in 2030 due to global-warming. I think that we will save the planet. Think about the ozone hole. The end of civilization was also announced, no exposure to direct sun light in the future. We did it, we replaced cfc components of the refrigeration industry with eco-friendly gases.

I was also thinking in virtual diving, but I find it difficult to figure out how to recreate a virtual "feel like an angel with no gravity" that you feel underwater......

I agree that it could be difficult (and expensive) to simulate the PHYSICAL feeling of no gravity, but, like in a flight simulator, we DO simulate the VISUAL feeling of "flying".

Also, like in a flight simulator, you could use our simulator to explain/"practice" with: a) taking off, b) landing, and c) navigating using on board instrumentation and landmarks...
where in our case:
a) taking off is the descent where we simulate the physical aspect of a compressible body descending the water column,
b) landing is the ascent where we simulate the physical aspect of an expanding body ascending the water column, and
c) navigating using on board instrumentation and landmarks... is a combination of the diver's physiology, gear (bcd, gauges, dive computers) and real dive sites

Alberto (aka eDiver)

The fin of 2030 will have a foot pocket, but no blade. In place of the blade will be a molded plastic device shaped like a wood screw. The screw device will rotate as you kick, and provide almost all thrust in the straight-ahead direction.

I would hope someone can come up with a better material for wetsuits.

2030 insulating material will no longer have bubbles to make it a foam. It will be made of micro capillary tubes. This material will be structured to allow liquids to pass out of the suit, but not enter, ending a present problem and complaint.

Last edited:
I agree that it could be difficult (and expensive) to simulate the PHYSICAL feeling of no gravity, but, like in a flight simulator, we DO simulate the VISUAL feeling of "flying".

Also, like in a flight simulator, you could use our simulator to explain/"practice" with: a) taking off, b) landing, and c) navigating using on board instrumentation and landmarks...
where in our case:
a) taking off is the descent where we simulate the physical aspect of a compressible body descending the water column,
b) landing is the ascent where we simulate the physical aspect of an expanding body ascending the water column, and
c) navigating using on board instrumentation and landmarks... is a combination of the diver's physiology, gear (bcd, gauges, dive computers) and real dive sites

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Beriscope
This seems to be an intermediate step.
Beriscope – Scuba Diving Without The Wetsuit

By 2030 Bob Evans will have us all wearing Force Fins!

And Jet Fins will still be better.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom