Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't read more than two or three replies in this thread so sorry if this is redundant...

Dive watches have almost zero utility for diving. These days, at worst, most recreational divers are using some form of bottom timer/depth gauge device. What's a dive watch going to give you that you don't already have?

Further, any watch that fits you properly on land is not going to fit you with a wetsuit on. And certainly will not fit with a drysuit on.

I really wanted a dive watch when I first started diving. But it turned out, it was a solution to no particular problem.

I didn't read more than two or three replies in this thread so sorry if this is redundant...

Dive watches have almost zero utility for diving. These days, at worst, most recreational divers are using some form of bottom timer/depth gauge device. What's a dive watch going to give you that you don't already have?

Further, any watch that fits you properly on land is not going to fit you with a wetsuit on. And certainly will not fit with a drysuit on.

I really wanted a dive watch when I first started diving. But it turned out, it was a solution to no particular problem.
Yep, you should read the rest :)

Also, the majority of divers today don't even need an SPG anymore unless they use it as a backup. A modern Air Integrated DC does all of the above better & safer.

Watch nowadays is an accessory, it is basically a statement about you, that is the function of it. I have been wearing a Suunto Stinger for 20 years as my daily watch. I cannot imagine to wear a non diving watch as diving is a part of my personality.
When it was time to replace it, I looked at Rolex submariner because my childhood hero Cousteau was wearing one but it did not take me very long to realize it would be perceived pretty vulgar in my social circle and I my self would have a hard time to stomach it as well. So, eventually I got a Garmin Descent. If Cousteau was alive today, he would probably wear a real tool watch like Descent.

Watch nowadays is an accessory, it is basically a statement about you, that is the function of it. I have been wearing a Suunto Stinger for 20 years as my daily watch. I cannot imagine to wear a non diving watch as diving is a part of my personality.
When it was time to replace it, I looked at Rolex submariner because my childhood hero Cousteau was wearing one but it did not take me very long to realize it would be perceived pretty vulgar in my social circle and I my self would have a hard time to stomach it as well. So, eventually I got a Garmin Descent. If Cousteau was alive today, he would probably wear a real tool watch like Descent.
You shouldn't care much about what your circle thinks about you wearing a Rolex.
People that love you will support your choice even if they believe you should spend the money more wisely, the rest will react out of envy and envy alone so screw them...

A Submariner & a Descent are two totally different things. One doesn't replace the other and believe me when I say that Cousteau would probably still wear a Rolex if he was alive, he was not stupid. I might not use it for diving but as you said, it is a statement.

Being around watch forums for a while, I can state that secretly or openly EVERYBODY wants a Rolex. The only folks crapping on it are the ones that cannot afford it so don't be shy of your choice :wink:

I wear an expensive watch and I wear a $25 watch and everything in between. I wear them for me and depending on the mood, the occasion and circumstances. I don't wear them to show off. I hate wearing digital watches or watch style dive computers for watches. I don't wear watches when diving, only dive computers. I only wear analog watches as watches.

Recently, I got into Citizen eco drive watches and bought one for myself and for my competitive swimmer son. I also managed to find a light powered Casio outdoors watch for $90 which I wear when around the water (not for diving). I'd love to own a Rolex dive watch but I'll have to have lots of money and buy new camera(s), u/w scooters, go on month long dive trips, etc. before I buy a Rolex dive watch.

You shouldn't care much about what your circle thinks about you wearing a Rolex.
People that love you will support your choice even if they believe you should spend the money more wisely, the rest will react out of envy and envy alone so screw them...

A Submariner & a Descent are two totally different things. One doesn't replace the other and believe me when I say that Cousteau would probably still wear a Rolex if he was alive, he was not stupid. I might not use it for diving but as you said, it is a statement.

Being around watch forums for a while, I can state that secretly or openly EVERYBODY wants a Rolex. The only folks crapping on it are the ones that cannot afford it so don't be shy of your choice :wink:
Sorry it states something I am not able to stomach. I see real estate agents or car salesmen wearing Submariner. My circle is highly qualified expats, no one I know will ever wear a Submariner, not because of the price tag. Cousteau was wearing submariner because it was watertight with a bezel, back than this was a big deal making it a tool. I expect he would use some hi tech tool if he was alive today.

Sorry it states something I am not able to stomach. I see real estate agents or car salesmen wearing Submariner. My circle is highly qualified expats, no one I know will ever wear a Submariner, not because of the price tag. Cousteau was wearing submariner because it was watertight with a bezel, back than this was a big deal making it a tool. I expect he would use some hi tech tool if he was alive today.

Well, thanks for that... I am no Real Estate Agent nor Salesman and I was actually an Expat as well as my colleagues and some of us wear Rolex. Perhaps we are not qualified enough compared to you and your buddies... who knows. You could opt for a PP Nautilus instead, that's for over-qualified business owners, Turkish taxi drivers and Armenian butchers - the Gold version - (totally random jobs, just trying to categorize watch owners based on your logic).

FYI and to shatter your myth, Cousteau died in 1997. Suunto's first dive computer was launched in 1986, the SME-ML. In 1987, Uwatec launched the Aladin Pro. So, 10 years before his death, Cousteau was still using a Submariner. Don't invent stuff to justify your decision. The Descent is a great DC but it is no Submariner AND the Submariner is not a tool watch anymore. That's clear.

The same way, you would look really funny wearing a tuxedo and going to watch the Phantom of the Opera with your Garming DC on your wrist and an inReach Mini around your neck. Apples to Apples.

That’s funny, great response. I’ve not studied as much as you all have about Cousteau, but imagine in my head that he was interested in breaking ground and trying new ideas. Perhaps that changed later in life.

My citizen will fit over 2mm suit with the adjustable stainless band, but I prefer to pull the wetsuit sleeve up slightly on that side so it can go under or next to the suit on my bare arm. 100’ max depth on it’s last dive as you can see from the indicator arm.

Years of wear in this pic, but still going strong and looking good. At about $150 in value, it’s not an investment, just a great quality diving watch.

D69BA534-6919-414D-9E86-7B202682E214.jpeg

That’s funny, great response. I’ve not studied as much as you all have about Cousteau, but imagine in my head that he was interested in breaking ground and trying new ideas. Perhaps that changed later in life.

My citizen will fit over 2mm suit with the adjustable stainless band, but I prefer to pull the wetsuit sleeve up slightly on that side so it can go under or next to the suit on my bare arm. 100’ max depth on it’s last dive as you can see from the indicator arm.

Years of wear in this pic, but still going strong and looking good. At about $150 in value, it’s not an investment, just a great quality diving watch.

View attachment 727421
That's a great piece George.

You could very easily (and cheap) bring it to a professional for service, a light polish to buff away any unwanted scratches (unless you like them, some people like to keep them as 'memories') AND he could as well repaint the bezel numerals with an enamel pigment or similar. The same goes for the Lume in the dial if it has lost its brightness. Mind that Quartz watches also have lubrication although a smaller amount of jewels. If you haven't done that yet, you should as it is probably running dry.

I did some very quick research in case they ask: it has the Japanese caliber (GOOD) and the reference is B741-H31527 TA (should be engraved on the back of the case).

That way you can have a watch that looks and feels like new for another 25 years :)

Well, thanks for that... I am no Real Estate Agent nor Salesman and I was actually and Expat as well as my colleagues and some of us wear Rolex. Perhaps we are not qualified enough compared to you and your buddies... who knows. You could opt for a PP Nautilus instead, that's for over-qualified business owners, Turkish taxi drivers and Armenian butchers - the Gold version - (totally random jobs, just trying to categorize watch owners based on your logic).

FYI and to shatter your myth, Cousteau died in 1997. Suunto's first dive computer was launched in 1986, the SME-ML. In 1987, Uwatec launched the Aladin Pro. So, 10 years before his death, Cousteau was still using a Submariner. Don't invent stuff to justify your decision. The Descent is a great DC but it is no Submariner AND the Submariner is not a tool watch anymore. That's clear.

The same way, you would look really funny wearing a tuxedo and going to watch the Phantom of the Opera with your Garming DC on your wrist and an inReach Mini around your neck. Apples to Apples.
I work in an RnD site with 8-900 people and never seen anyone wearing a Rolex. I retired my Stinger because it has over 2k dives on the clock all over the world and I bought it with my first instructor salary 20 years ago. I would be devastated if I lost it. I would not exchange it to a PP. I did wear it everywhere, at work, in opera, in theater. I look funny as much as you look like a real estate agent I guess, apples to apples, as you say.
BTW, Suunto launched Spyder in the same year as Cousteau died and to my knowledge, it was first watch dive computer available. Not sure it would have been possible he wore a DC watch. He probably loved his Rolex as much as I loved my Stinger, or it could be that he kept it because it was increasing in the value enormously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom