Do you wear a dive watch? (not computer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMG_1191.jpeg

I probably haven't worn this in 15 years... I probably wore it on only a couple dives but it used to be my go to vacation watch. You all are inspiring my to get this dry rotted band replaced (any suggestions?) and get it back in rotation.

View attachment 829499

I probably haven't worn this in 15 years... I probably wore it on only a couple dives but it used to be my go to vacation watch. You all are inspiring my to get this dry rotted band replaced (any suggestions?) and get it back in rotation.
Shark mesh.

View attachment 829499

That’s a SKXA35, which, if I’m correct, has a 22mm lug width. Lots of strap and bracelet options. If you want a stock Seiko strap you can order their black strap and it will come with a metal keeper with “Seiko” on it. Lots of NATO options as well. I get mine from Crown and Buckle. Their premium NATOs are really smooth and comfortable. Geckota has brushed shark mesh bracelets with H-links that are easy to adjust. I have two of them I use with some of my Seikos. Uncle Seiko also makes several bracelets with SKX-specific end links.

@mje113 I should add one thing: if you go with a strap or bracelet that's not specifically made for a Seiko dive watch, you will need to get a pair of "slim fat" spring bars. Seiko uses "fat boy" spring bars that are thicker than regular ones. This means that your stock spring bars may not fit through the opening in some non-Seiko rubber straps. They also won't fit through the ends of shark mesh bracelets. For those applications, you can buy spring bars that are the normal width but have wider tips that fit the Seiko dive watch lug holes. If you use regular spring bars in Seiko dive watches you run the risk of having the narrower tips eventually wiggle around enough to widen the lug holes.

@mje113 I should add one thing: if you go with a strap or bracelet that's not specifically made for a Seiko dive watch, you will need to get a pair of "slim fat" spring bars. Seiko uses "fat boy" spring bars that are thicker than regular ones. This means that your stock spring bars may not fit through the opening in some non-Seiko rubber straps. They also won't fit through the ends of shark mesh bracelets. For those applications, you can buy spring bars that are the normal width but have wider tips that fit the Seiko dive watch lug holes. If you use regular spring bars in Seiko dive watches you run the risk of having the narrower tips eventually wiggle around enough to widen the lug holes.
Thanks for all the useful info! I was a bit overwhelmed by all the choices so just went with the Uncle Seiko clone strap. I also bought a spring bar from them--hopefully that'll be the right size?

Thanks for all the useful info! I was a bit overwhelmed by all the choices so just went with the Uncle Seiko clone strap. I also bought a spring bar from them--hopefully that'll be the right size?
As long as it's 22mm wide, you'll be fine. Enjoy!

As someone with a “watch problem”, I fully endorse owning as many dive watches as possible. I do not wear them diving, but wear them hiking, skiing, etc as they are tough as nails. They also act a signal for me; when I see someone wearing one I think to myself “kindred spirit “ as that person might also be a diver.

My favorites dive watches are those developed by actual divers. I have others (Seiko, Oris as examples), but if interested check these out. Good stories and great watches.

Unfortunately Aegir is (I think) no longer in business but they can still be purchased pre owned. Scurfa watches are really well built at their price point.

Seiko dive watches are my kryptonite. I think I have around 14 now and actually wear them all on rotation.
After the 3rd repair, my 2nd Seiko dive watch retired from diving. It kept leaking. The third time I found one for what the repair would cost but I only wear it swimming. Two Shearwaters are plenty.

EDC watch = Seiko SLA037 1965 repro w/ Hi-Beat (Grand Seiko) movement.

Dive watch that I DO wear (in addition to a NERD 2 and a Peerdix AI) is a 1998 Omega Seamaster.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom