Do you wear a dive watch? (not computer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people say it's good to have a watch as a backup in case of a computer failure, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. You'd still need a depth gauge.

I don't wear a watch at all in or out of the water

That's why I have this Cressi Digital SPG. Depth, time, gas used, gas time left to 50 bar... water temp and previous dives information.

Goes nicely with my Perdix.

CRESSI  CONSOLE.jpg

I don't wear a watch diving anymore but I do have a watch problem! lol The last picture is my old bottom timer from when I started diving, it still works.

Divex working watch of many saturation divers
20240228_082229.jpg

"Bluena" Japan special edition
20240228_082451.jpg

Turtle oceans edition
20240228_082545.jpg
20240228_082646.jpg

007 original Japan
20240228_082714.jpg

I still wear a dive watch if I am in a pool wearing a wetsuit while instructing or training. For actual diving, I wear two Perdix AI computers. I, like many others, have probably collected several over decades of diving. Especially if you were diving before computers. With that said, if I do wear a dive watch just to wear one, it’s usually this one…
IMG_4572.jpeg

This is my favorite (non-Seiko) but it doesn't dive. Way too pretty.

Oris Tapper Diver 65.jpeg

Oris Diver 65 by Tapper Jewelers

When my dive computer went off for repairs a month or two ago I started diving my local shallow haunts with just a watch, and only so I would know if I'm missing lunch or beer o'clock. I've gotten so used to it I'm not sure that I need the computer for the sort of dives I do (shallow solo photography).

Like others here I have quite a collection of dive watches but only one favorite that's with me every day both above and under water - the good old Seiko 'Tuna' (SBBNXXX): robust enough to dive with, but unique enough to be my daily wristpet (tm).

20240229_142536.jpg

Cheers,
Rohan.

Dive watches are obsolete, true. But they're sturdy, reliable, and cool... For kids like me, born in the 70's, dive watches meant cool, adventure, etc... Got my 1st one late in my life, around 35 I'd say : Yema SeaSpyder (Seiko inside), and then a bunch of Seikos and a Vostok. Dived them all, just for the fun of it. Always one on my wrist, feel naked with one, and very proud to wear one : a little boy's dream which came true.

Even got one for my godson as a gift when he graduated from highschool : found it old school but extremely cool.

Dive pros need to keep time at all times not only at the bottom as they are responsible of the flow of the whole day as well as course schedule. Many pros I know use a dive watch, I personally used only watch sized dive computer and I could not do without "time". Many pros who use full size dive computer use an additional dive watch for the very same reason.

Back
Top Bottom