Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jyc would probably be wearing the JYC limited sea dweller if he were alive today. I think rolex likes to pay up to be involved in pioneering underwater exploration. They had special rolex deep sea models made for the trieste dive to challenger deep and the james Cameron dives in 2012(?). In any case he'd probably wear the rolex and slap on the petrel + nerd ccr if he were 45 in 2022, my 2 cents.

Stating that jyc wore it only as a tool, while smoking a pipe looking at nav charts doesn't make a lot of sense to me. His son is a sea dweller man as well i think. Nothing wrong with anyone buying a rolex because they're beautiful watches, and diving a shearwater because they're great dc's imho.

I work in an RnD site with 8-900 people and never seen anyone wearing a Rolex. I retired my Stinger because it has over 2k dives on the clock all over the world and I bought it with my first instructor salary 20 years ago. I would be devastated if I lost it. I would not exchange it to a PP. I did wear it everywhere, at work, in opera, in theater. I look funny as much as you look like a real estate agent I guess, apples to apples, as you say.
BTW, Suunto launched Spyder in the same year as Cousteau died and to my knowledge, it was first watch dive computer available. Not sure it would have been possible he wore a DC watch. He probably loved his Rolex as much as I loved my Stinger, or it could be that he kept it because it was increasing in the value enormously.
So you want to tell me that you personally know 900 people and what watch they wear at work and their free time??? I will have to take your word for it as well as if someone offered you a 60K Patek Philippe you would stay with your Stinger instead...

The 1st Suunto diving computer - as I previously stated - was launched 10 years before Cousteau's death. You can Google it. He used his Sub because HE valued it and not because of its increasing value. Cousteau didn't exactly had economical problems after 'raiding' half the planet's oceans...

Now, 'believe you me' when I say that if you would wear a Rolex Submariner for a day, you would change your mind and we would be having a very different conversation :wink:

Dive safe.

In today's world, I imagine Cousteau would dive whatever watch a manufacturer would be willing to pay him to wear.

I have an old Seiko 6105 somewhere in the house that I bought new in 1973. I'll wear it again when I find it. In the meantime I like the elegant Citizen BN0000-04H.

In today's world, I imagine Cousteau would dive whatever watch a manufacturer would be willing to pay him to wear.

I have an old Seiko 6105 somewhere in the house that I bought new in 1973. I'll wear it again when I find it. In the meantime I like the elegant Citizen BN0000-04H.
Probably (very)

and I was born in 1973 so I like your Seiko already :)

I also had a Promaster in 2002 that was upgraded to a Stinger in 2003. Great watches as well.

I retired my Stinger because it has over 2k dives on the clock all over the world and I bought it with my first instructor salary 20 years ago. I would be devastated if I lost it. I would not exchange it to a PP. I did wear it everywhere, at work, in opera, in theater. I look funny as much as you look like a real estate agent I guess, apples to apples, as you say.
He probably loved his Rolex as much as I loved my Stinger

I have two stingers, one of them is Titanium, I'd like to sell them. They are in very excellent conditions with very low dive count. Do you want them?

The 1st Suunto diving computer - as I previously stated - was launched 10 years before Cousteau's death. You can Google it. He used his Sub because HE valued it and not because of its increasing value. Cousteau didn't exactly had economical problems after 'raiding' half the planet's oceans...
Dive computer isn't == dive watch. Suunto is the first one reducing it to watch size and market it as a sports watch and that was in 1997. I do not have to google it because I had a Spyder end of 90ies. You will be surprised most dive computers did not show time unless you licked your fingers and browsed through the menus tapping the contacts.
Now, 'believe you me' when I say that if you would wear a Rolex Submariner for a day, you would change your mind and we would be having a very different conversation :wink:
Well you will not see me wearing a thick golden chain, nor a Rolex. Only emotional connection I can make with it is JYC was my childhood hero. Don't get me wrong it is fine looking watch but problem for me is what it represents nowadays.
I have two stingers, one of them is Titanium, I'd like to sell them. They are in very excellent conditions with very low dive count. Do you want them?
Mine is still working fine, I do not use it for diving anymore, only for the opera nowadays. But thank you for the offer.
Actually IWC is using Cousteau name, I guess that is what he would use as daily because someone is being paid for the name.

This one.... Steve Zissou
image.png

I am of the opinion that there is no watch designed today that has any value in scuba diving. Maybe you could argue the suunto stinger is one but personally, I think suunto made a dive computer small enough to look like a casio. Therefore, I say that there is no such thing as a dive watch. Just watches that are waterproof to 100m or whatever depth rating they have.

Now, if you choose to take that watch diving with you, fine. Its kind of like me deciding to take a necklace with me when I dive. Its a personal choice. But no amount of marketing or calling a necklace a "dive necklace" will make that necklace have any utility during a dive.

I am of the opinion that there is no watch designed today that has any value in scuba diving. Maybe you could argue the suunto stinger is one but personally, I think suunto made a dive computer small enough to look like a casio. Therefore, I say that there is no such thing as a dive watch. Just watches that are waterproof to 100m or whatever depth rating they have.

Now, if you choose to take that watch diving with you, fine. Its kind of like me deciding to take a necklace with me when I dive. Its a personal choice. But no amount of marketing or calling a necklace a "dive necklace" will make that necklace have any utility during a dive.
The only two people i know who actually use watches for "diving" are sat divers, one a sea dweller the other an omega. They use it as a watch though, not neccesarily for the dives, more for bell/28 days in sat. None of them actually use it as a bottom timer.

I did some very quick research in case they ask: it has the Japanese caliber (GOOD) and the reference is B741-H31527 TA (should be engraved on the back of the case).

Hi El,
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your research and info about lubrication. I do need some paint on the bezel numerals but Lume on the dial is practically enough to read by after just a short charge with a light source. The numbers on the back are B741-H31519 TA. The face says N-Japan-N and B741-H55547 KA. Not sure if that means anything different. What is ”the Japanese caliber".

While we are bragging about our Rolex watches, I have to show off mine. Don’t hate me.
23C62A0F-E774-4B72-8F6F-1F94BEAEAC93.jpeg

It’s great as long as the battery holds out. 🤣

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom