Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bottom timer/depth gauge

SPG… as a backup
This is why I bought a dive watch. It was relatively inexpensive and if my computer fails early in the dive, I can continue the old-school way. Having just bought a Peregrine, I didn’t want to lay out the money for a second computer. Diving with one is not adequate, a point driven home to me when my Aqualung i330R failed on its second day of use. Simpler tech as a backup is a good safety measure. And I like the way it looks (and it fits fine underwater).
Edit: I pay no attention to the NDL table on the strap 🤣
6B59B26B-B32F-4530-8716-4C14C47008C5.jpeg

This is why I bought a dive watch. It was relatively inexpensive and if my computer fails early in the dive, I can continue the old-school way. Having just bought a Peregrine, I didn’t want to lay out the money for a second computer. Diving with one is not adequate, a point driven home to me when my Aqualung i330R failed on its second day of use. Simpler tech as a backup is a good safety measure. And I like the way it looks (and it fits fine underwater).
Edit: I pay no attention to the NDL table on the strap 🤣
View attachment 727672

If your concern is your computer failing during a dive, wouldn't be better to have second computer? In this way, you still have all the information you need - your depth, a timing device, and if you dive the computer in this mode - how much NDL time you have? Useful if you are doing a second or even a third dive on the same boat that day.

I got no issues people wearing watches during dives. Just saying that dive watches are nothing more than regular watches which happen to be water proof to 100meters or whatever.

It was relatively inexpensive and if my computer fails early in the dive, I can continue the old-school way

And how are you going to correlate the multi-level calculations of the dive computer to a square dive table? What if in the middle of the dive?

If your concern is your computer failing during a dive, wouldn't be better to have second computer?
Absolutely, but as I said in my post, I’m not willing to invest in that right now. Particularly because I’ll probably end up with an AI computer at some point.
And how are you going to correlate the multi-level calculations of the dive computer to a square dive table?
I’m not, but I can still complete an enjoyable dive.
Memorize dive table
Or copy part of it to my forearm slate, which is what I did.👍

Holy crap fellas, and what if your second computer fails and the third, etc. I have been diving recreationally and professionally since 1970 and have not owned a computer until 7 years ago. Now I have a Zoop and a Garmin Descent Mark 2. How did I ever manage to live through 10,000+ hours of diving up to now. Well, there was this -
20220610_190622.jpg

The Scubapro Bendomatic, 1970's state of the art. I used it on a few dives and never had a problem. I did hundreds of hours of Saturation Dives in 150 to 200 Meters in the 1970's and guess what? We had no computers, we had tables, charts, timers, calculators, and pneumo-fathometers. I did many, many surface decompression dives in up to 225 feet and used the same stuff.
If you can't figure out how to not get bent on sport diving trips without a computer then you should not be involved in the sport.

If you can't figure out how to not get bent on sport diving trips without a computer then you should not be involved in the sport.

Why is that?

Why is that?
because you dont understand even the basics of diving science and are relying on a computer and only a computer to keep you alive.

if your computer wigs out, and gives you bad information, you need to have enough knowledge to:

1) know that information is not correct.
2) know what to do next, knowing the computer cannot be relied upon.

a dive computer should always be a convenience, and not a dependence.

if you are at 100' and your computer is telling you that you have 130 minutes of NDL....are you going to just blindly follow that advice? well if you are dependent on that computer, and youve never even bothered to understand dive tables, why would you have any reason to doubt it?

if you are at 100' and your computer is telling you that you have 130 minutes of NDL....are you going to just blindly follow that advice? well if you are dependent on that computer, and youve never even bothered to understand dive tables, why would you have any reason to doubt it?
Because your computer's dive planner will tell you before you hit the water?
The scenario you refer to: has it happened to you? Has it happened to someone you know? Have you heard of it happening to anyone?
Tables are fine for people hung up on them. But I think they are going the way of the slide rule with better tools available for recreational divers.
Half my diving experience was with tables. I was glad to give them up. I think there's more chance of error skipping a column or row in a table or not remembering to reset the bezel on your not entirely infallible watch.

Back
Top Bottom