Diving watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that the best you can do or say?

I will give you a friendly advice also:
If you talk that way, don't report members when they reply to you on the same tone. That's a "beach" move.

You can stare at Cousteau's poster now, he might nod back at you and smile as well...
I did not report you, I do not like moderation, it is probably someone elses or moderators own initiative. I wish your message was there until the end of time.

I did not report you, I do not like moderation, it is probably someone elses or moderators own initiative. I wish your message was there until the end of time.
Muss gehen, bis bald :wink:

Not my intention.

It is just very uncommon and I mean VERY uncommon that people plan their dives when wearing a diving computer. Especially in recreational diving. For more technical dives, a backup DC makes more sense.

Any Dive Watch cost as much as an entry level Dive Computer so I see no point on unnecessarily complicating things. That's all.
Well, several others in this thread time their dives with a watch, but in my case I suppose it’s a throwback to my primary training, which was pre-computer. I only recently started using a computer and when my i330R failed after one day in service, it left a bad taste in my mouth for DC’s. I switched to a Peregrine, based on my LDS’s experience with Shearwater’s reliability record and quality of customer service, as well as positive comments made on SB. But it seemed like a no-brainer to have a timer as a backup, which is one of the options recommended by the manufacturer. Quoting from the risk-of-failure warning at the beginning of the Peregrine manual, whose image I’ve included below, “Never risk your life on only one source of information. Use a second computer, or TABLES.” (Emphasis added by me). By the way, this recommendation refutes @BoltSnap ‘s assertion that manufacturers say not to use tables as a backup. Here it is in black and white:
E98926A0-0A82-4FC8-895E-3D141F196338.png
I have a decades-old G-Shock (the original model) which became unreliable, so I went looking for a traditionally styled dive watch and found the Citizen on sale on Amazon for $200. There isn’t a computer in that price range that I would want.

doing what you were taught to do in basic open water makes you an "elite diver"?

who did your certification? you might want a refund
No, that makes you an elite diver. Congrats.

Question is:

Attachments

• Matrix.JPG
    Matrix.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 52
Well, several others in this thread time their dives with a watch, but in my case I suppose it’s a throwback to my primary training, which was pre-computer. I only recently started using a computer and when my i330R failed after one day in service, it left a bad taste in my mouth for DC’s. I switched to a Peregrine, based on my LDS’s experience with Shearwater’s reliability record and quality of customer service, as well as positive comments made on SB. But it seemed like a no-brainer to have a timer as a backup, which is one of the options recommended by the manufacturer. Quoting from the risk-of-failure warning at the beginning of the Peregrine manual, whose image I’ve included below, “Never risk your life on only one source of information. Use a second computer, or TABLES.” (Emphasis added by me). By the way, this recommendation refutes @BoltSnap’s assertion that manufacturers say not to use tables as a backup. Here it is in black and white:View attachment 728419 I have a decades-old G-Shock (the original model) which became unreliable, so I went looking for a traditionally styled dive watch and found the Citizen on sale on Amazon for $200. There isn’t a computer in that price range that I would want.

Sorry, you were saying...?

ps. Regarding your backup dive watch and discipline, I've already congratulated you. Kudos again.

Attachments

• Mares.JPG
    Mares.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 52
Well, several others in this thread time their dives with a watch, but in my case I suppose it’s a throwback to my primary training, which was pre-computer. I only recently started using a computer and when my i330R failed after one day in service, it left a bad taste in my mouth for DC’s. I switched to a Peregrine, based on my LDS’s experience with Shearwater’s reliability record and quality of customer service, as well as positive comments made on SB. But it seemed like a no-brainer to have a timer as a backup, which is one of the options recommended by the manufacturer. Quoting from the risk-of-failure warning at the beginning of the Peregrine manual, whose image I’ve included below, “Never risk your life on only one source of information. Use a second computer, or TABLES.” (Emphasis added by me). By the way, this recommendation refutes @BoltSnap ‘s assertion that manufacturers say not to use tables as a backup. Here it is in black and white:

This thread baffles me to no end. It seems like there is a lot of angst over a bunch of nothing burgers.

Yes, there are people who time their dives using their watch but they aren't doing it that way because a watch gives them more than what a dive computer or a depth guage/timer combo gives them. Honestly, it feels like some do it because, you know, they bought a dive watch.

Any instrument you bring with you during a dive can fail. A computer, a watch, whatever. If an instrument failing during a dive causes a big problem, bring a second one just in case. I bring a second mask because, if my mask breaks, I would prefer to put on another mask rather than ascend dealing with a broken mask. I don't personally bring a second depth gauge/bottom timer as I use my buddy as depth and time reference if my computer fails.

Lastly, I don't know why people are agonizing over tables. Heck, I even dive a simplified version of tables along with my computer (which I use in gauge mode). I use the 130 rule with 32% or the 120 rule with air. On 32%, 130 - my average depth = the length of time I can stay and be within NDL. This works pretty well for dives where the average depth is greater than 60ft. This rule becomes super conservative the shallower the dive is. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Currently not the Apple watch, but there are others. The Garmin line is probably closest to a dive computer that can also be worn as a smartwatch/activity watch. Atmos Mission One was an attempt as well that combined a dive computer with a Smartwatch. Looks like Mission2 will also add more activities, so be closer to the Garmin line.

The thing is, to your point, most of these are very large. I think only the Garmin G1 and MK2s are really in the size range of smartwatches/activity trackers. The MK2, MK2i are a bit too large for my tastes to wear daily. I haven't seen an Atmos Mission in real life, but it looks to be similarly sized as the MK2/i.

20211116_075117.jpg

Those Garmin computers do look nice. If they ever had the functionality of an Apple watch, I would be down with it.
Honestly, my Descent Mk2i does basically everything I used my Apple Watch for to the point I am actually selling my series 7. It gives me all the notifications I need, has NFC payment, tracks a ton of other exercise and workout things, does all my diving and air stuff, looks fantastic and also does everything my pulseox does which is nice :)

The only downside I can see for some is it's size, but it's honestly been an amazing experience for me so far.

How would you do that exactly?

Do you plan your dive using the Navy dive tables before each dive in addition to wearing a DC?
Probably not :wink:
Well you would be wrong in fact I use a hud computer a back up analog depth/air/compass. I use my watch with a depth gauge and the tables. I set the watch bezel first to my turn around time. Then I set it to my deco stop time. Just because you are lazy and expect a computer to be correct 100% of the time don’t mean all divers are. On top of that if the computer failed you can still use it as a safety/deco stop timer even if you did not do the tables first as you should know based off how long you been at depth how long of a stop you will need.

Double condom as I said in another post...
In your case it makes much more sense obviously as you are already used to the same interface.

On the other hand, I don't blame them as long as they really know why they are using all these backup tools :)
Back up tools because I don't want to become a statistic…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom