Diving with a bad back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Several divers I know have bad backs. The general solution is Weight integrated BC, equip in the water or if sea conditions do not allow this, equip sitting at the platform and then do a sideways entry while a crew member supports most of the gear weight while you turn until you are entering the water. Always unequip before climbing the ladder.

Kilroy:
My son and I are considering scuba certification. The only reservation we have with going forward is my lower back. I have had 5 lower back operations over the past 15 years with the last one 1 1/2 years ago. I know only I can decide if my back is capable of the strain but I was hoping for insight from others that may have faced the same issue. I don't want to go through the expense and time to later find out that the added weight of scuba gear is going to cause additional lower back problems. I should add that I'm a fairly big person at 6' 4" and 260 so based on what I have read I may be carrying a fair amount of weight during scuba diving.

Any thought or suggestions are appreciated.

Kilroy

I have an injury in my lower back and time to time have some pain during a dive. Diving a while on my back and watching bubles helps. It's mostly becouse of the boyancy of the exposure suit vs weightbelt making my back bend a bit backwards. Having extra weight in my ancles would help im sure, but haven't bought them yet. Diving tropics it's no problem due the thinner suit/less weight.

An MRI showed I have a partially herniated disk. Diving relaxed all the muscles around it and I didn't feel anything diving. But an hour after the dive the muscles all seemed to tighten up around it and I was in pain. But I was in pain most of the time anyway so it didn't make a lot of difference whether I dived or not. The good news is that religious stomach exercises (crunches, situps, front pull downs, side pull downs) have pretty much cured the pain, I guess by stregthening all the spinal muscles (they go all around it like the ones on a chicken neck) it holds everything in place. The exercise worked miracles.

I would strongly suggest consulting a physician that specializes in hyperbaric/diving medicine. H/S would be a much better judge of whether or not you could dive than you winging it on your own.

Take a look at Dr. Campbell's (Scubadoc) website http://scuba-doc.com/ or DAN Medical http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/ for physicians in your area.

Bonne chance,

i used to have a very bad back but i started going to the gym asn stregthned by lower back with several exercises as well as leg exercies. they ahve worked for me. if your case is extreme, maybe you can ask someone to assist you gear up and ungear in the water. its been done here many times with divers with severe back problems. good luck

In my non-medical opinion I would go for it. If your smart enough to ask for advice I think your smart enough to use the advice and figure out a way to make it work for you. Scuba can be as physicaly demanding as you want to make it just use good judgement and pick and choose carefuly the dives you can do. This being said I would look at using a steel tank witha steel back plate, this will help you avoid putting some weight on your body. Another option would be to look for a weight integrated bc, Eliminating the weight belt might help keep pressure off your lower back. Good luck, you'll figure a way to make it work.

E.B.

SubMariner:
I would strongly suggest consulting a physician that specializes in hyperbaric/diving medicine. H/S would be a much better judge of whether or not you could dive than you winging it on your own.

Take a look at Dr. Campbell's (Scubadoc) website http://scuba-doc.com/ or DAN Medical http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/ for physicians in your area.

Bonne chance,

sorry to hijack but i love your haida orca avatar submariner!

My lower back bothers me from time to time. I didn't have any trouble with it diving in 80F water in a shorty, but when I was diving in Washington the additional weight caused problems. I have a DUI harness and it has helped tremendously, but I learned a few tricks before I bought it. The walk from shore is going to do all the damage. Get a cart to take your gear close to the water. I found that using a bench, tailgate or tree to sit on and put on my gear on helped. Then I could stand up with my back held straight. It's the bending over with weight that was the worst. Putting the gear on in the water is also a good idea, but be carefull carrying it there! It doesn't do you any good if you are bent over dragging it there. Boat dives never gave me any trouble regardless of weight. Boats usually have a bench or something so you don't have to pick up things from the ground.

I'd let your son carry the cylinders and weights from the car.

Xanthro:
If you can find a boat that will let you get into and out of your BCD in the water, that will be easier as another posted stated.
That shouldn't be a problem, I had surgery last year and had to do that for every boat dive and everyone was very accomodating.

I get herniated disks like some people get colds. It has been years since I was totally pain free. I dive 150-200 times per year. I dive 90% shore dives.

The DUI weight & Trim mentioned has really helped me.

I have my truck set up with DIY upright tank holders in just the right position so that I can easily slip into my kit without any lifting. I NEVER try to move my tank/bp all together.

I learned how to say, "Sorry. Can't help," to other divers requiring lifting assistance I shouldn't do (like giant tubs full of wet gear, or lifting their kit onto their shoulders).

I move my tanks around very carefully.

As a side note, my doctor would like to see me on pain meds therapy, but I take almost no drugs that might mask DCS symptoms.

The good news is - as has been mentioned - all the pain goes away while I'm in the water!!! Scuba diving is the best medicine for my back problems! :D

Back
Top Bottom