Diving with back problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Posting here because of the style of gear I'm using.

Seems like every year I have a week or two of back trouble. This time it was much worse and decided to get checked out. The MRI showed L5 and S1 pushing against some nerves. This is really causing some strong pain down my leg. Also some tingling in my toes. My next step is to meet with another DR to explore my options but the apt is not for another week. During the last three weeks of pain I spent one Sat in the pool for a training class. It was the only time I was pain free even with all the gear on. I just had someone put everything in the water and then I put everything on. Of course the steel tanks were left home which I think helped a bit.

So here is my question. My wife and I have a trip planed the first week of May. My gear for this trip will be AL backplate /Single tank wing / harness / Single tank adaptor (6lb weight) / al80 / 4lbs weight / 3mm shorty. What do you think about diving with back issues? Of course I will follow the DR advice but just wanted some other ideas. :D

By all means, follow your doctors' advice, but having said that:

I think prolonged sitting during the flight will be far harder on your condition than diving, provided you do not do any heavy lifting. If you feel like you can travel, you can probably dive if you use common sence. Have the boat crew (I'm just assuming boat diving?) pass you your tank and don it it the water, and at the end of the dive have them take it from you before you climb the ladder.

The fact that you were "pain free" while in the pool is a great sign. And is also a good sign regarding your disc herniation / protrusion. Be sure to let your doctor know about that when you see him/her. They like to know about palliative vs provocative activities when taking a history, and I'd put scuba diving in the "palliative" column if I were taking your history :D That's a GOOD thing. Good luck.

Best wishes.

Usual disclaimer: The above should not be considered in any way as a substitute for medical advice from your attending physician or health care professional. Blah blah. :D

Mayor,

Agree with LeadTurnSD. Consider a lumbar epidural injection of Depo-Medrol prior to discectomy or decompression, particularly for an L5-S1 process. All the best, and like I tell people every day "leave a scalpel out of the equation if possible"

I'm thinking this can be resolved without cutting me.

I'm thinking this can be resolved without cutting me.

Please try everything else first.

Again, your doctor will give you real advice (versus the "virtual" advice you'll get from us here on the internet :D ), but the yardstick we try use before considering a surgical referral in lumbar disc cases is loss of function, such as motor weakness. The pain and tingling can often be managed conservatively, and in fact can resolve over time on their own... or not. The hardest part is giving it time to resolve.

Since this sounds like a chronic and now worsening problem, just some general "safe" advice. If you are at all overweight, it is time to lose it. Time to get lean and mean. If you are more familiar with your TV and couch than an gym, time to change that. Losing weight and strengthening your core, along with maintaining good flexibility will go a long way in decreasing the frequency and severity of future flare-up's.

Again, talk about all of this with your doc, and best wishes for a speedy, full recovery and unrestricted return to diving!

Best wishes.

I am NOT giving medical advice, just my experience - I have a herniated disc, I spent years in pain, tingling sensations in both legs, numbness, pain meds, MRI's, couldn't sleep - some deal where they stuck a series of needles along my spine....out of absolute deperation and half crazy, I finally went to a chiropractor - researched the locals and found a pretty good one - it was amazing the results. I go about once or twice every 2-3 months or if I have a flare-up... worked for me and I was a not a believer in chiropractics. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said he had seen some awful things from being "adjusted" - but he had also seen people get some real help. I have left my Dr.'s office with a prescription for pain, walked literally next door to the chiropractor and left his office feeling like a new man...I dunno - but it sure works for me.

forgot to mention - surgery was discussed - I will do anything to forego surgery - I currently have a knee that required "immediate knee replacement surgery" five years ago - no surgery as of yet and still going strong and doing well. (Gawd I'm a mess)

Last edited:
I am NOT giving medical advice, just my experience - I have a herniated disc, I spent years in pain, tingling sensations in both legs, numbness, pain meds, MRI's, couldn't sleep - some deal where they stuck a series of needles along my spine....out of absolute deperation and half crazy, I finally went to a chiropractor - researched the locals and found a pretty good one - it was amazing the results. I go about once or twice every 2-3 months or if I have a flare-up... worked for me and I was a not a believer in chiropractics. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said he had seen some awful things from being "adjusted" - but he had also seen people get some real help. I have left my Dr.'s office with a prescription for pain, walked literally next door to the chiropractor and left his office feeling like a new man...I dunno - but it sure works for me.

I'm pleased to hear that. Your case is really pretty common, as is the good result you had with chiropractic care.

I was hoping someone else would make that recommendation, so I would not have to. Much more effective when a patient with a similar complaint does so. :)

It is unfortunate that referral by MD's to DC's for treatment of non-surgical low back cases is still the exception rather than the rule. Old prejudices die hard.

Today it seems to be more about "turf", perceived competition for patients, and general ignorance (among the general population and some MD's) about the level of training DC's have and what they actually do than anything else. At least in some areas.

And just like MD's, DC's are not all "created equal". You've got good, bad, and those in between, just like in any profession.

You may have guessed that the intials after my name, are, well, the same as the abbreviation for District of Columbia :wink:

Best wishes and again, good luck to the OP (Mayor).

FYI

I have read that people with problems such should not dive because the symptoms could make it difficult to differentiate between chronic sciatica and a new DCI type II hit.

FYI

I have read that people with problems such should not dive because the symptoms could make it difficult to differentiate between chronic sciatica and a new DCI type II hit.

I could see how this could be difficult. Diving is a lot more then a sport to me so giving it up would not be the answer.

I also have multiple level disc issues. I will not go into the specifics. I have done Epidurals, Facet injections, Decompression (very painful for me, didn't work), and recently a Facet Rhizotomy.
Diving is one of the only things that really makes my back feel better. I do the same as you. Put all equipment on either in the watewr or sitting on the edge of the boat. Once I am in water, nothing feels better than neutral bouyancy on the spine.
The only thing that bothers me personally is floaty feet. If my fins are above my head, it puts strain on my discs. Once I adjust my trim, it's all good.
Just be careful getting out of the water and don't dive ripping currents.
And by all means, put off surgery for as long as possible.
Good luck. I literally feel your pain......

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom