Diving with computer in gauge mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found the computer provided a useful sanity check for the mental tracking of the dive.

Adding to TSandM's post, here's a comparison I put together of various decompression curves for the same time/depth/gas combination.

I find it interesting to see how the different algorithms stack up.

Notes:
1) I had to forcefeed a longer dive into vplanner since it counts the descent towards bottom time whereas decoplanner and ratio do not.
2) I've hidden the depths, runtimes, and gases so as to not encourage anyone to try to follow the profiles (not that anyone familiar with this stuff can't figure it out anyway). Suffice it so say it's a generic tech 1 level one bottle dive.
Interesting also, that doing deep stops can cause your computer to want MORE deco, even when you're off-gassing. So if you're diving a profile similar to GF35/85, or doing ratio deco like AG teaches you might add deco to your computer by doing a deep stop, and if you skip that deco (which shouldn't be needed), you'll bend the computer and it locks out for 2 days.

I've been using a computer as a backup to mental depth averaging. This weekend there were times when my Nitek DUO called for considerably more deco than necessary. While I did it to avoid locking out the computer, I recorded what I THINK the deco should be, and I'll review this with an experienced dive buddy so that I can eventually ween myself off of a computer and start diving the algorithm of my own choice. For now, a computer is a backup, I dive the custom profile first, and then if the computer want's more deco, I'll let that clear.

The Suuntos (non DS versions) will penalise you for deep stops by adding to your stops in the shallows.

The Suunto DS computers give you deep stops but axe the 3 min 5m safety stop at the end.

I dive with a Duo and a Uwatec bottom timer on my right wrist (well I did untill my duo died on me the other week, I need to send it in) if I am doing a recreational dive or a practice/drill dive I leave it as a computer but mostly refer to my BT. When I go and do a dive with gas switches and helium, the computer went into gauge mode.

Charlie, in answer to your question, the Liquivision has an intelligent layout for the screen -- The depth and dive time are in large numbers, and immediately apparently to a glance. The NDL information from VPM is in a smaller number on the left of the display, and for me, requires a deliberate effort to find and read. Therefore, it did not distract me at all.

the Liquivision has an intelligent layout for the screen -- The depth and dive time are in large numbers, and immediately apparently to a glance.

I agree. While diving with a Liquivision diver this past Sunday, I found myself looking at his wrist for depth and time information as often as at my own (which I needed a light to read).

:D

I agree. While diving with a Liquivision diver this past Sunday, I found myself looking at his wrist for depth and time information as often as at my own (which I needed a light to read).

:D

I get that response a lot from folks I dive with ... especially on night dives. They can see my X1 easier than they can see their own computer.

Comes in real handy for monitoring depth on free ascents ... almost makes it too easy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom