Diving with contacts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe - I have the same style contacts (mono vision) ... left is for close, right is for far .... it's fine for checking my gauges but hadn't thought about when I get into taking pix and stuff ..... something else to think about!!

Also the issue on the mask with diopters or perscription lenses is true - my husband does have to wear his mask till he can get to his glasses - otherwise he can't see too much of anything!! :)

Never had a problem in losing them but because I only need for distance I ran into problems a couple of times being able to read a map underwater in poor vis. Stopped wearing them for that reason only..

but I leave the custom fit $230/pair lenses topside and wear the closest disposables I can find to my prescription when I dive. Things are a little fuzzy because they don't correct for my astigmatisms, but there close enough. Actually, I have done several dives recently with my expensive lenses in, but I wouldn't wear them in a training situation where I knew I had to do mask clears.

:glasses:

I dive with contacts and so far I've never had a problem.

I usually wear the 15 day disposible contacts. This year I had my annual eye exam just before leaving for a 10 day diving vacation. So, I asked the doctor for a second prescription for the daily wear disposibles for use when diving.

The dailies do cost quite a bit more than my normal lenses, but the extra cost was definitely worth the peace of mind, being able to discard the lenses after a day of diving. And since I only use them on diving days, the cost over the course of a year is well worth the lower risk of eye infections.

Another unexpected benefit was not having to carry cleaning solution along on the trip. :)

Regardless of which lenses I use, I do keep an extra pair in my dive bag, just to be on the safe side.

I have a prescription mask that I use when assisting the instructor during the confined skills sessions. When it comes to the open water diving I wear my contacts and haven't experienced any problems. The instructor I work with wears contacts all the time and so far hasn't lost a lens.

I always ask my students if they wear contacts....tell them to sqiunt or keep their eyes closed during exercises. Since I have contacts too...my demo's reassure them....Plus it's a great exercise to find a missig contact in the pool...realistically never had to do that exercise

Thanks for all the responses guys (and gals).

I'll pass the information along and I'm sure she will be much relieved by your experiences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom