Diving with hangovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pure oxygen is the best thing that I know of for moderating the effects of a hangover. I don't know if they still do or not but you used to be able to purchase small cans of pure oxygen at your neighborhood pharmacy in Japan when I last lived there in '95.

That said I don't advocate diving with a hangover (although I'd be lying if I said I had never done so). But you might just want to check the oxygen bottles on your dive boat to see if they are still full the next time you dive.

Rickg

WOW.

Dehydration is a risk factor for DCS not a cause. You can be well hydrated and get DCS you can be dehydrated and get DCS. My research shows that the only sure fire cause of DCS is too rapid of an ascent. Other than that it is all speculation as to why sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Reaction time?!?!?! If my reaction time slows by a tenth of a second on a leisurely reef dive I seriously doubt it will have an impact on my buddy, emergency or not. In any emergency, the dose of adreneline will fix that post haste.

If I spend $5,000 for a dive vacation I am probably gonna party some and sometimes you just end up going too far. Same as the thread related to diving with cold symptoms. When the morning comes, guess what, it's time to dive. Hung over, tired, bored, cold symptoms what ever. That's just the way it is. Everyone gets to decide that for themselves.

The very next post will be someone who says they don't want to be my buddy. Fine! Just remember that dive buddy and baby sitter are two different things. What you do is not your buddys fault and vice versa.

Now lets go have some fun!!!!

WOW.

Dehydration is a risk factor for DCS not a cause. You can be well hydrated and get DCS you can be dehydrated and get DCS. My research shows that the only sure fire cause of DCS is too rapid of an ascent. Other than that it is all speculation as to why sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Reaction time?!?!?! If my reaction time slows by a tenth of a second on a leisurely reef dive I seriously doubt it will have an impact on my buddy, emergency or not. In any emergency, the dose of adreneline will fix that post haste.

If I spend $5,000 for a dive vacation I am probably gonna party some and sometimes you just end up going too far. Same as the thread related to diving with cold symptoms. When the morning comes, guess what, it's time to dive. Hung over, tired, bored, cold symptoms what ever. That's just the way it is. Everyone gets to decide that for themselves.

The very next post will be someone who says they don't want to be my buddy. Fine! Just remember that dive buddy and baby sitter are two different things. What you do is not your buddys fault and vice versa.

I guess thats your opinion.

I take my diving seriously. I don't care if I spend $10k on a holiday. If I have a dive the next day I won't get pissed the night before.

Same goes for diving with a cold, etc. If you're not 100%, call the dive.

YMMV.

WOW.

Like many of the other posters, I don't drink before I dive either. What you do may not be your buddy's fault and vice versa...but if something happens to you as a result of your impared/hung over state guess who has to save your a$$...your dive buddy. And if you get bent, and the crew has to tend to you and get you medical help, guess whose second or third dive you just ruined...everyones!

Like many of the other posters, I don't drink before I dive either. What you do may not be your buddy's fault and vice versa...but if something happens to you as a result of your impared/hung over state guess who has to save your a$$...your dive buddy. And if you get bent, and the crew has to tend to you and get you medical help, guess whose second or third dive you just ruined...everyones!

Spot on.

But hey, who cares. You got pissed, dived with a hangover, messed up someone else's dives, as long as you're happy on your $5k vacation.

We know the safe diving rules. We must be responsible for ourselves and others who we dive with. I know that many people with hangovers dive but do you want to be calling DAN? Drinking and diving increases the risk of DCS basic knowledge. Dive safe.

I've only been witness to one case of DCS requiring a chamber ride since I started diving in 77'. The guy was crew on the Bottom Scratcher and got hit on his first dive of the day. He was healthy, young and in shape. He was also very hung over.

Back
Top Bottom